mix and match battery with different ballast ratings ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headtohead

Registered
Reaction score
Long story short - wife and I each owned a vareity of lights along the way. We have managed to accumalate a vareity of batteries as well. My halcyon 4.5w 10amp ballast died on a recent trip. Now I am left with 3 good batteries -> 12V 2.15Ah, 12v 2.7ah and the original 12v 4.5ah batt. I was consdering an upgrade to the EOS but I think it may be more cost effective to get a new complete light.

Question is, can I buy just any new cannister (21w, 12w, 10w etc) and plug in ?
Do I have to be concerned about
a) the watt specfications and
b) type of light (LED vs HID)

my brain tells me I only need to worry about the battery fitting into the cannister and its burn time , but I am sure I am missing something, or can I just mix and match the battery ?

Most lightheads out there run on ~12v batteries. The Halcyon EOS should work just fine on your current 4.5ah can. You can buy an EOS lighthead on an E/O cord and fit E/O cords to your other canisters. That will give you a lot of flexibility. 18w, 21w, 10w, and the EOS all run on ~12v.

The only "no-go" that I'm aware of is lights that have the ballast built into the canister. They need to be matched to the lighthead.

Back
Top Bottom