missing ear canal and equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend went snorkeling for the first time a few days ago and he asked me about relieving the pressure in his ears. I explained how to equalize pressure, then stopped. He is missing his right ear and as he explained it the ear canal as well. (Genetic, not accident related) Would this have any impact on him learning to dive? I assumed that since you are equalizing internal air spaces it would not... But I told him I'd ask around to make sure.

Aloha, Tim

I think you’re on the right track about air spaces. The actual answer would seem to depend on his specific anatomy. If he has a middle ear and an intact Eustachian tubeon that side, I think he’d be OK. Does he have trouble on planes, or when driving over mountains? He might want to consult with an ENT who’s familiar with diving.

It really depends on what structures are present and which are not. But to have any air spaces in the ear structures requires a communication with the outside world or the oro- or nasopharynx, and that should permit equalization. If there are no air spaces, the question is moot.

Back
Top Bottom