Mismatched HP port threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have an interesting problem that I need some help with. I have 2 regulators, one Apeks and one Atomic. I just bought a new computer, and I wanted to switch out a button SPG to the Apeks reg from the Atomic. After taking off the SPG from the Atomic, I put my computer in, and it fits perfectly. When I tried to put the SPG on the Apeks, however, it wouldn't fit. It tightened up after about 1/2 a thread, and I feel like I'd have to force it to make it fit (I'm of course not going to).

The weird part is this; I've tried this button SPG in every other port on the Apeks and Atomic (4 HP ports). It fits in both ports on the Atomic, but neither port on the Apeks. Another Pressure gauge I have fits in all 4 perfectly.

What's going on here?

lundysd:
The weird part is this; I've tried this button SPG in every other port on the Apeks and Atomic (4 HP ports). It fits in both ports on the Atomic, but neither port on the Apeks. Another Pressure gauge I have fits in all 4 perfectly.

What's going on here?

What kind of Apeks first stage do you have?

It's a Black Pearl (Yoke model) -- Atomic is a Z1

Wish I could help but frankly I don't know what to tell you. Sorry.

It fits perfectly in BOTH of the HP ports of the Atomic (but NEITHER in the Apeks). Weird huh?

Sounds like it's trying to cross thread. DON"T FORCE ANYTHING. Your reg is brass & will damage easily. If it has tried to cross thread, you will have to have the threads chased.

Since your computer fits both regs, the button SPG will also. That's why I think it's trying to cross thread.

You need to find out if the cross thread is happening in the reg or on the SPG. You need a tap to chace the threads in the reg. You need a die to chase them on the SPG.

If your dive shop doesn't have them (most won't) , a machine shop will.

James

Back
Top Bottom