Miscellaneous questions for the Red Sea Aggressor and the Nile Queen in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjd001

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few random questions before I head off to Egypt next week:

1. Any need to bring my reef hook? (used in the Maldives and in Palau)
2. Any need to bring my pointer stick? (used in the Philippines)
3. Can I bring a dive knife? (one lives on my BC, but I can take it off)
4. Can I bring my shears? (they live in my BC pocket, but can be removed).
5. Can I bring gloves? (not sure if needed or allowed. I will have a 5 mm wetsuit and a hood)
6. Thoughts on tipping the crew - better to use cash or charge it?
7. Tipping in general (sorry, yes, I am from the US). We'll be touring Cairo for a few days before we board the boat. Is it customary to tip in restaurants, etc?

Thanks, all!

BROTHER, DAEDALUS AND ELPHINSTONE itinerary no reef hook needed. Its all wall diving. Pointer stick not needed except maybe on night dive on the reef near shore as no night diving on BROTHER, DAEDALUS AND ELPHINSTONE divesite. Shears would be better as knives in egypt frowned upon. Tipping cash for crews and restaurant staff.​

Pointer was not permitted when I was on Red Sea Aggressor in November.

Gloves not needed, not sure if they were permitted?

Reef hook not needed, doubt they are permitted.

I had a knife attached to my BC, shears are probably OK

I tipped using my credit card on both RSA and NQA. The guide on NQA was a separate tip from crew and was excellent. Take the ballon ride if offered, it was a highlight - and “nobody ever regrets a hot air balloon ride”. Also pay the extra for the tomb in the valley of kings - not cheap but was the highlight of the trip for me. Put everything else into context as you could see what everything else would have looked like when it was built as most of the colours were not faded in this one tomb as they are everywhere else. Forget the name but the guide will offer it as an add on to the tour that is included.

Tipping is all over the map. Much of tourism in Egypt is Europeans so not the same tipping culture. However you are on RSA which mostly caters to Americans so…

I'll add if you tip in cash go to your bank beforehand and ask for cash that's new or clean/unmarked/unwrinkled. Banks refuse to exchange old/wrinkled USD and the crew have a hard time using it.

not needed, but you may have a use of it

no need
of course
of course
5. Can I bring gloves? (not sure if needed or allowed. I will have a 5 mm wetsuit and a hood)
of course, although not needed and some divemasters may prohibit so that they are sure the divers will not touch coral ; anyway, if you don't touch anything, you're sure you won't be stung or burned :acclaim:
cash, of course, better in EGP, but USD or EUR are welcome (there are ATM in every city and some hotels)
7. Tipping in general (sorry, yes, I am from the US). We'll be touring Cairo for a few days before we board the boat. Is it customary to tip in restaurants, etc?
yes, and as the country is poor, you can be harassed in some places but just but a polite no is often enough
Thanks, all!

Thanks, all!
Must of the questions have been answered but, I will give my 2 cents on tipping. My wife and I did this trip in Nov 2020. I tip the crew on the Rea Sea Aggressor when I settle my bill on the boat using my credit card.
Now tipping off the boat is another story as it is nuts. Everyone will want a tip, everyone, and they have no qualms asking for more. They will except US dollars. Talk to the tour guide, some have been tipped already by the tour but, will still ask for more. Some times they will hand you off to another person mid way and each will want a tip. Also, when you come out of the temples, there are small booths selling souvenirs, they can get very aggressive, we called it running the gauntlet. Don't make eye contact.
Please do NOT let this ruin your trip, it is fantastic trip.
On the Nile Queen, you can tip the crew when you settle you bill with a credit card. The Nile Queen tour guide will be tipped separately and this needs to be in cash.
Have a good trip, I will be on the Red Sea Aggressor II on 2 Apr. 2022.

Back
Top Bottom