Misc Key Largo diving questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also chip in and recommend that you decide where you want to dive first. Florida Keys Dive Center and Conch Republic are in Islamorada, South of Key Largo. That means the sites are going to be different in the main. You will do the southern sites from Molasses down to Alligator, whereas central Key Largo Ops tend to do Key Largo Dry Rocks down to Molasses. Northern Key Largo shops can get up to Carysfort, but dont run down to Islamorada sites.

Fortunately, I now also have a boat in Tavernier, so we can cover all of it.

Check out Scuba-Do. I've tried many down here and now won't go with anyone else.

Thats cos you work for them :D

How are ya Gary? Glad to see your doing OK. Are you still playing at the Pilot House? Can I come and jam with you guys?

I Second BettyRubble choice. I just returned from Key Largo, diving with Silent World Dive Charters Sat & Sun. Chris Brown, Owner of Silent World and his staff (Keith DeMell, PADI Staff Instructor, Captains Gary Thompson & Bob Fennesey, and Mike Jacobs, PADI Instructor, provided superb customer service. The dives on the Spiegel Grove, night dive on the City of Washington, and the shallow Elbow Reef dives were simply freakin awesome. Good viz, calm sea conditions, warm water and great dive buddies hailing out of Tampa Scuba Diving. I am like Arnold, "I'll Be Back".

Conch Republic Rocks!!! can't wait to go out with them again.

My vote is Silent World and the Carysfort dives. Great captain/crew, great shop, great dives.

I loves me Capt Bob and me Miss Pat aka MissParamedic on here. Silent World has IMO the best of the best when it comes to their staff, knowledge of the upper Keys dive sites. I have always felt safe diving with them and so have my kids since they were tiny critters :blinking: When your kids at age 4 and 5 say lets hit the water mom, that tells me they are comfortable with the staff at Silent World. My kids have always felt safe with Miss Pat while they were in the water. I would dive, she would snorkle with them. Now Denis is planning to take the OW course with Miss Pat. He is a Ranger as of right now but trust Pat with his life and that alone tells me she has a very good re pore with kids...
I cant say enough good things about Silent World they have been apart of my family for years now and will continue to be for many years to come...
Thank You Chris for taking care of us and making our lives so much richer:grouphug:

I will add my thought also. As said before, Silent World is a class act. Pat(MsParamedic ) is and will be our family's only instructor/guide in Key Largo. You want to feel good about diving with someone that knows when to be next to you or give your space, then hire Pat as a guide.

As my 17 year old said about Pat, "Pat was the coolest instructor, when are we going back down"? High praise from a teenager.:D

Didn't know that summer special with Conch. Plus 10% for SB members. No brainer is you want to dive in Islamorada. By the way the diving there is great. Also Gary and Brenda have a great litltle shop.

I had a fantastic experience with Conch Republic when I did 6 dives in a day and a half with them in early May. I've also been out with Silent World (last December) and they did a reasonably good job too; I'll go back out with them at some point in the future.

I've been diving with Silent World this week. The Spiegel Grove is tomorrow. They are a first class operation.

I've been out with (including only those ops still in business and all in Key Largo unless otherwise noted) Conch Republic Divers (Tavernier MM91), Florida Keys Dive Center (Tavernier MM91), HMS Minnow, Horizon, Ocean Divers, Ocean Quest (Islamorada MM85), Quiescence, Rainbow Reef, Scuba Do and Silent World (shop and boats located miles apart, 28'-30' boats/12 divers). All were at least adequate to varying degrees according to my subjective and varying requirements (i.e. owner/employee amicability, pleasantness, knowledge, organization, willingness to spend a few minutes with you to find out what you're looking for from them, etc.) Here's my druthers:
Six-pack: HMS Minnow-gets you to the good spots quickly and before the other boats. Capt. Jeff has a great sense of humor and will go the extra miles, literally, to put you where you want to go or where he thinks you should go, if you ask for his advice. Quiescence also is an outstanding six-pack op. I've never read any negative posts about either of these ops. For "medium size" boats (~28'-34' range) try Scuba Do (34', 10 divers max, lots of room). Or Conch Republic's "little" boat (~30'), AquaticDiver. Conch Republic is frequently mentioned here on SB, always with praise. They will gladly make sure you get any available discounts, e.g. "ScubaBoard Member," without your having to specifically ask for them. Bigger boats (42'-46' range) can also be had at Conch Republic (see previous remarks) as well as Ocean Divers. Ocean Divers will go out with two divers minimum although they can get claustrophobic on those Sunday mornings when a south Miami dive shop/club is present. I've only been out with Ocean Quest once. It was a good experience. Someday I'll get out with them again. As for all the other ops I listed; I'll only use them if these preferred ops I've commented on are unavailable.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom