Misc Key Largo diving questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexlakeman

Reaction score
What are some recommended Dive charters off Key Largo? I saw this link in the stickies and it has a good list on there http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/231435-florida-keys-guide.html .

Someone recomended to me rainbowreef for my refresher course and they seem to offer a lot and reasonable, but then again, it might just be a "pretty" web page.. Anyone try them out? Dive Key Largo, Islamorada, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

These are some of the activities they offer that caught my attention:
  • $75 for a two stop dive including tank, plus $20 for regulator and BC, seems reasonable....
  • Snorkel trip (taking the kids in a few weeks) for $35
  • refresher $75 (that's for me, since I've been out of diving for a few yrs).
  • Bubblemaker $75 for my 9 and 12 year old to try out.

I plan on spending a few days in the Keys next month to complete the above, so wanted to compare the above rates / service / dive operation to any others that might be recomended here.

One thing, that I used to take for granted, and soo simple was some charter boats have fresh water for you to rinse when done diving... that would be nice to have, not a deal breaker, though... :)

tks

edit......

Searching the archives, I came accross a couple recommendations...any thoughts / comparisons on these would be appreciated as well...I'd like to have a choice, so I can try a different charter each time I am diving..

garden cove divers
http://www.gardencovedivers.com/default.aspx
Prices are similar to rainbow reef

Horizon Divers - Snorkeling is $50 vs $35 for rainbow, but the price for scuba is about the same as the other two
http://www.horizondivers.com/Rates.html

Oh, and no cattle boats, if possible :D

Last edited:
U will get different opinions depending what you are looking for. My thoughts

Rainbow Reef is middle of the road op. They do put a DM in the water (unusual for KL) and DM Jesus is one of the best around, but overall the rest of the crew and captains rotate thru pretty quickly as they frequently offset payment to employees for the opportunity for training = inexperienced staff.

Garden Cove - I like the owner/captain, but their current boat is scow and is frequently out of service.

Horizon Divers - Experienced crew. They get a mixed crowd with lots of newbie divers. Not a bad choice, but not in my top set.

My favs.:

You can't go wrong with Conch Republic - Great boats (their big Newton is a gem) and the best single trip deal in KL if you book on-line.

Jeff and the HMS Minnow - Great 6 pack (but a bit pricey). The first to book gets to pick the site (Jeff will make suggestions base on your experience and objectives). When I want to hit a specific Central Key Largo site and get there first, I go with Jeff

Quiescence - Runs three 6 pack boats and is full service op catering to the recreational diver. Leaves a bit later than most - you can sleep in 30 minutes longer than the others. Best gear service in the Upper Keys.

Silent World - My choice to hit the Northern Key Largo sites like Carysfort and North North Dry Rocks. Good captains, their shop location is off-site which makes them a bit less convenient than some others, but not really a big issue.

We have had great experiences with Silent World and Conch Republic. I have not used the ones that Jeff mentioned but have heard compliments on each of them.

I have use Rainbow Reef for over 40 dives. I have also used Horizon divers and Conch Republic. IT really depends what you are looking for. I would recommend all three. First Rainbow Reef is a very good operator. They have two types of crew paid and unpaid. The unpaid are interns that are working there way up to and thru the pro level. THe paid are all pro divers. The free guides can;t be beat. There boats are all nice. I cna not comment on rental gear. I just got back form a trip where I did 14 dives with Rainbow. No problems what so ever. They air and nitrox. And a very reliable front office. They have upgraded the staff in this area. Conch Republic is a little bit more expensive but, Gary Mace is top notch in the customer service department. His outfit is super well run. Horizon has one big pontoon and one small six pack. Expect to be on the pontoon. Capt. Bob was great. But if you are a newbie, there is no guide. Quiescenceis also a great operation and they have 100 HP nitrox for only $6 a tank. Q expects you to know what you are doing and puts very little restriction on you. The only thing is that there boats are a little small. The owner was very nice and genuine. Overall, I would dive with any of the shops mentioned in this post. I just like Rainbow reef because of the location to the hotels and that fact that I don;t have to worry about finding the boat I can take pics for a full hour. RR also has a fresh rinse hose on every boat as most do. Bonus, RR has all the bottle water you could possibly want plus cookies.

Conch Republic is a little bit more expensive but, Gary Mace is top notch in the customer service department. His outfit is super well run.

Right now Conch is probably the least expensive trip down there, specially for SB members who book online.

Check out this thread

Just reminding everyone about the summer on-line special. Book online and your dives are $70 with tanks $55 without. Please follow the instructions posted to get this rate.

Oh yea and if you let us know you're a SB member you get another 10% off that. So now your down trips are $63 with tanks and $49.50 without
.(these rates are before taxes) Each dive trip is a two tank dive, stopping at two dive locations.

Book Online Now and $ave

I am very much looking forward to my first trip out with Conch Republic later this week.

With that said, Florida Keys Dive Center is an excellent shop with great boats and a very friendly staff. They are worth at least a phone call before you head to the Keys.

If you get as far south as Key West check out the Vandenburg. They recently sank it, June I think... two weeks after I came home. Look up Peter at Bonsi (boy, I have no idea how to spell that... you know the "mini trees':wink: Diving. I had a great time diving with the outfit. A lot more personal than some of the larger outfits.

Has anyone had any recent experiences with either Pleasure Diver or Blue Water Divers in Key Largo?

My vote is Silent World and the Carysfort dives. Great captain/crew, great shop, great dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom