Misc BP/Wing questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared Silly:
No the bolts would not gouge the table, they would clear it by 1/4 inch. So they are not too long - I think I am AB Normal :D

You should be fine. You might be able to feel a pen between your spine and the wall, but can you do it where the band bolts penetrate the backplate?

Tobin

This one falls into the "learn from my mistakes" category.

If you're gonna cut the bolts off, disassemble the unit first. I figured I'd be fine just putting a towel over the wing to catch the sparks from the dremel tool I was using to trim the bolts. Nope ... the (red-hot) cut piece fell onto the backplate, rolled into one of the backplate holes, and did a "China Syndrome" on my wing. I liked that wing too ... before I put two big burn holes in it. Oh well, got to replace it with one of Halcyon's new designs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated

Tobin, I placed the pen approximately where the wing nuts would be and could more or less feel it. I know that when in the water my back will have a bit of an arch to it.

Stephan this is with a Zeagle BP.

Instead of cutting the bolts I think I will just buy some that are 4.5 inches and see how that works. There are several supply houses close by so it will not be too hard to find even in SS.

Last spring I dove a similar set up (double al80s) while in Chuuk and did not notice the bolt ends. But again I did not pay a huge amount of attention to it because it all felt fine and being a noobie to doubles and all.

You won't find "shouldered" bolts like the ones that came with your bands. I looked all over town for some until I realized that Highland takes a standard shouldered bolt and taps them to extend the threaded portion and shorten the shoulder to fit their bands.

Your best best... if you really want to change the bolts... would be to buy some SS all-thread and make your own. I don't see any advantage to that, though. You already have the right bolts... just assemble your plate and wing, tighten down your wingnuts and then mark your bolts with a permanent marker where you want to cut them. Then take your plate and wing off and cut your bolts. I've done it with a sawzaw... never have figured out what dremel blade will cut through those things.

But... once you cut them you may have difficulty using a different plate with a shallower center channel.

Here are some pics...

Diagram of how to set it up with all-thread:

boltkit.jpg

A Highland bolt cut down next to an all-thread bolt:

pic_4.jpg

Typical length of bolt:

B.jpg

A cut down Highland and one that hasn't been cut:

A.jpg

In the last pic notice the Blue Molly... a nice little trick from FredT.

cool_hardware52:
SS,

If you want low profile, suit freindly wing nut replacements check these out

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page13.html

With these you can cut the bolts so only about .400" projects through the plate.

Regards,

Tobin
Oh those make life so much easier , i just need to order another set for my STA. If your diving with a Halcyon style pocket on your plate it makes it easier to swap tanks around over normal wingnuts.

terrasmak:
Oh those make life so much easier , i just need to order another set for my STA. If your diving with a Halcyon style pocket on your plate it makes it easier to swap tanks around over normal wingnuts.

How so? What's wrong with wingnuts? We've been using them for years.

You don't need to mess with 'em at all if you are just swapping out tanks... no need to separate the plate and STA.

For assembly and disassembly; don't attach one of the lower grommets if you're using one of those Halcyon pocket things. And... it's easy to get to the top one.

Stephen Ash:
How so? What's wrong with wingnuts?

Wing nuts are a taller overall profile, are subject to galling (Stainless to stainless) often require the use of at least a flat washer, and can be unpleasant to remove with water softened hands.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Wing nuts are a taller overall profile, are subject to galling (Stainless to stainless) often require the use of at least a flat washer, and can be unpleasant to remove with water softened hands.
Tobin

No... seriously... what's wrong with wingnuts?

Removing them hurts your hands? C'mon. It aint that bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom