Minot Light, MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm hesitant to even mention this site, in the hope that I might be able to keep it to myself, but it was phenomenal!

Making an eastern approach to the ledge allowed us to anchor the sailboat in 45 feet of water and approach the stone lighthouse in the Zodiac launch. After Brian, who was running the boat, tied off to the ladder, my buddy Rob and I got geared up and tried to approximate our visibility. We were suprised that, in about 25-30' of water, we were able to make out starfish from the surface.

We decended into a large school of pollock, with a few stripers darting past. Visibility was excellent, and the current mild and consistant. Minot's ledge has depths between 5 and 65 feet, and there is quite a bit of debris of old wrecks, as well as the remains of the old lighthouse among the rocks.

One of the primary dive objectives was to find some dinner, and a very meaty 16 inch winter flounder begrudgingly oblidged. It was my first time with a "Hawaiian sling" spear, and I was quite happy to have taken a fish to feed four of us on my first attempt.

I'm definately looking forward to making this a regular spot. It looks like a great site for photography, hunting, lobstering, looking for remnants from the many ships that have been battered to smithereens on the ledge, and simple sightseeing as well.

Originally posted by MSilvia
One of the primary dive objectives was to find some dinner, and a very meaty 16 inch winter flounder begrudgingly oblidged. It was my first time with a "Hawaiian sling" spear, and I was quite happy to have taken a fish to feed four of us on my first attempt.

Are you really hunting up here with a Hawaiian sling or is it just a pole spear with a band attached to it? General wisdom is you would lose a lot of shafts in North East waters freeshafting with a Hawaiian sling.

Ralph

Back
Top Bottom