Minor wetsuit modifications - Any suggestions??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got a great deal on a used Mares 7-5-3 wetsuit for my daughter on EBay and it fits like it was custom made for her …. Well almost; the wrists are exceedingly tight, but 2-3” up from the end of the arms, it fits perfectly. The wrists are composed of about 2” of smooth-skin type material , which doesn’t seem to stretch very well. The arms are also about 2-3” too long. In an attempt to stretch then wrists out, I forced an Aluminum water bottle into each arm, out through the wrist… My plan is to leave them a few days and then have her try the suit on again.

Short of trying to find progressively larger diameter items to use to stretch the sleeves, does anyone have any tips on ways to stretch out a portion of a wetsuit?? Would steaming it help speed the process??

If that doesn’t work, my other thought is to cut the wrists back about ¾” and trying that, I figure I can progressively take about 3/16” to 1/8” until I’m down to about 1.5” of the smooth-skin material left. I don’t want to remove more, because I want enough to provide good seals at the wrists.

If I have to go this route, how do I seal the edges so the material doesn’t fray and prevent the stitching on the wrist from unraveling???

Last edited:
No suggestions, but what did you do? Did it work out well?
The stretching process proved to be enough. I had her try on the suit after a couple of days and then put the water bottles back until we packed to leave. With them removed, the wrists appeared to return to original size, but they were much more "stretchy" and allowed her to comfortably wear the suit..... Would have worked out great if she could have gotten her ears to clear!

Well done on the stretch job, I'll have to try a "whole body" version of that with my old 3/16ths (5mm).

For the ear clearing issue, if you're not aware of this site, check it out.
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom