Minor vertigo on ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been experiencing some brief and minor vertigo on some ascents. I am having no trouble equalizing on descent and I'm not uising decongestants. It is mild (I feel no nausea or loss of sense of direction) and only lasts a few seconds.

Does this sound like something I need to worry about. I don't think I ascend too fast.

I realize that this is in the Diving Medicine area, and I have no backgroud to answer a medical question, but I thought I'd share my experience. I have had the same issue numerous times, and for me it seems to happen if one ear "clears" before the other on the ascent. Usually the other ear catches up shortly and the feeling goes away immediately. Once I figured out why it was happening I found it very easy to manage, although the first time it happened I was quite freaked out by it. Now when it happens, I slow the acsent until the other ear catches up, and then continue to ascend. Hope that hepls.
Jason

Thanks Jason...you could be on to something. My left ear always takes longer to equalize on descents so the same could be true on ascents.

Thanks!

The same thing happens to me occasionally too. I also notice that when I equalize, one ear seems to pop quick and the other seems like it has to build up to the pop to equalize. I actually looked up the vertigo thing a couple of years ago and found that there is actually a specific name for this type of vertigo. I'll have to research it again as I have forgotten but I'll post again when I find it.

I've been experiencing some brief and minor vertigo on some ascents. I am having no trouble equalizing on descent and I'm not uising decongestants. It is mild (I feel no nausea or loss of sense of direction) and only lasts a few seconds.

Does this sound like something I need to worry about. I don't think I ascend too fast.

I had that happen once. After doing a safety stop I looked up and the vertigo was so bad I almost lost it. By reflex I looked down and it immediately stopped. After catching my breath I tried peeking up at the surface and the vertigo started back up, looked back down and it stopped again. Got to the surface and everything was fine. I think it might have been cold water getting in on one side of the hood and not the other. Not sure what caused it but it was a bad feeling.

I realize that this is in the Diving Medicine area, and I have no backgroud to answer a medical question, but I thought I'd share my experience. I have had the same issue numerous times, and for me it seems to happen if one ear "clears" before the other on the ascent. Usually the other ear catches up shortly and the feeling goes away immediately. Once I figured out why it was happening I found it very easy to manage, although the first time it happened I was quite freaked out by it. Now when it happens, I slow the acsent until the other ear catches up, and then continue to ascend. Hope that hepls.
Jason

Yes, you have rediscovered a basic principle of vestibular physiology - dizziness often follows when the left and right inner ears are stimulated differently!

The usual explanation for this is that the vestibular system has evolved as two organs set in solid bone, so when you move your head, they experience symmetric but opposite inputs, and your brain is used to interpreting that as motion in three dimensional space. However, there are some circumstances in which one inner ear is stimulated differently than the other, and your brain doesn't know what to do with this input. Among other things, it can cause the subjective impression of vertigo.

There are two ways of asymmetrically stimulating the inner ear in diving: Altenobaric vertigo and the cold caloric response.

Altenobaric vertigo is caused by one ear being ventilated (through the Eustachian tube) better than the other. The caloric response comes from cold water in the outer ear canal stimulating the inner ear (the semicircular canal) through the bone. So you can have dizziness even with perfect ear clearing if, for example, you have earwax or a poorly fitting hood that protects one ear canal from cold water more than the other. In fact, one test of inner ear function is to squirt cold water into one ear, which should result in nystagmus (oscillation of the eyes) or dizziness.

One more point about diving related vertigo - as we said, vertigo results when the brain gets confusing inputs. Your brain monitors your position in space by three inputs: muscle tension receptors in the spine, your visual perception of your environment and your inner ears. So if you sit in the cabin of your dive boat and try to read, the book, your hands and your eyes are all moving the same way, so your eyes are telling your brain that you are sitting still. However your inner ears are disagreeing with that input due to the motion of the whole boat on the ocean, "confusing" the brain and resulting in vertigo! So the reason that staring at the horizon helps with seasickness is that it lets your brain "realize" that the signals that it is getting from the eyes and the inner ears are consistent with each other.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom