Minor Poseidon Cyklon reg free flow - is it a problem?? (video...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queestce

New
Reaction score
G'day All,

I've had a couple of dramas with my second stage main recently. I clean them quite thoroughly, but they actually managed to seize up on me at one point and I had to have them disassembled and cleaned. After that they seem to be working okay, and I went diving with them today and had no issue. When I just got home and washed them out, I noticed they seem to be leaking the tiniest amount of air. When I say tiny, I'm talking a stream of little bubbles; have a look at the vid below to see what I mean...

Now, what I don't know is whether this is something that I need be worried about? I have had these things serviced twice within about 20-30 dives so I'm not that keen to shell out more yet again if I don't need to. Does anyone know if perhaps you can adjust Cyklons to stop a little leak like this, or is it a sign of wear/damage that could be the precursor to an impending issue?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

At low tank pressure 20b/ ~300psi, I would expect the IP to be a little higher than 11b, I need to double check my book, but I think the cyklon 2nd range is 155-165 psi, so I would expect to be at the high end of that range when testing at the,"low" tank pressure.

In any case, that leaking 2nd stage is trying to tell you something. Either your IP is to high, or your 2nd stage LP seat is not sealing.

Did you replace the little orange Low pressure seat on the 2nd stage?

And do you have the specs for how the set up the spacing on the inhalation lever?

Cyklons are different.

At low tank pressure 20b/ ~300psi, I would expect the IP to be a little higher than 11b, I need to double check my book, but I think the cyklon 2nd range is 155-165 psi, so I would expect to be at the high end of that range when testing at the,"low" tank pressure.

In any case, that leaking 2nd stage is trying to tell you something. Either your IP is to high, or your 2nd stage LP seat is not sealing.

Did you replace the little orange Low pressure seat on the 2nd stage?

And do you have the specs for how the set up the spacing on the inhalation lever?

Cyklons are different.

Thanks for those replies. I don't have the equipment to test the IP unfortunately, and I haven't replaced the 2nd stage LP seat myself, but I guess the tech could have during servicing... I found the service manual, but I'm not going to lie, it mainly just confused me... I'm quite mechanically savvy, and will happily tear apart a motorcycle and rebuild it, but the mechanics of the reg allude me a little and due the life supporting nature of their use I'm reluctant to f*** around with them too much! Still, I'd love to know how to adjust them, and I'm sure it's reasonably simple; no Youtube tutorials unfortunately. Strangely enough, after letting the regs dry out all night I tried them on the tank this morning and could not replicate the leak... Only reason I'm hunting the solution down is because I'm going on a dive trip on Friday for a couple of weeks and would prefer they don't give up the ghost mid-way through it! Perhaps it's not worth worrying about, they're probably leaking less than a single breath over a period of an hour or two. If you guys reckon adjusting that spacing on the inhale lever might cure the problem I could give that a crack though I guess...

So did you have it serviced by a reg tech? You just said cleaned before, so that was not clear.

Don't screw with the lever adjustment unless you know what you are doing. And that's not how cyklons are adjusted for cracking effort anyway.

What is your tank pressure when you see the leak? If this was at the end of your dive, your IP should be higher and might help understand what is going on. Put it on a full tank and report back.

It's a little hard to diagnose withought knowing all of what's going on here.

Back
Top Bottom