Minimum Connection Time at DPS (Domestic to International)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Illini_Fan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning on using miles to book my USA-DPS-USA tickets. There is a EVA Airlines flight departing DPS at 16:15 on the day in question. However, I would be coming from MOF (Maumere) that same morning. The live-aboard (Mermaid I) ends in Maumere for this particular trip.

It looks like the are two possible domestic flights, but I'm concerned that neither would work.
Flight Option 1: 08:35 departure from MOF - 10:25 arrival at DPS. This flight gives me plenty of time to connect in DPS, but seems unrealistically early for me to make. Although I did send Mermaid a note asking them if that is a possible flight

Flight Option 2: 12:05 departure from MOF - 13:55 arrival at DPS. I'm concerned that this is not enough time at DPS to collect my bags from the domestic flight (on Garuda), check-in with EVA and get through any customs / immigration/ security to make a 16:15 flight.

Any feedback from anyone that has tried a similar connection?

thanks

tom

You should be good with the early flight. Usually you spend the last night in port for early departure. The LOB wants you out early so they can get ready for the next charter.

I thought of that after I typed my question. I am trying to think of a boat that I've been on that wasn't back in port the night before.

I imagine Mermaid will let you know for sure (or maybe the details of the itinerary are on their website?) But yeah, getting off a liveaboard early morning to make a flight is pretty common and you may very well have the company of other poor souls who are on the same early flight.

I wouldn't trust the connection time on the later flight - I wouldn't even trust Garuda not to cancel your flight and put you on some other flight going through some airport you hadn't planned on, or heard of. :)

Go on the earlier flight. The Novotel attached to the airport has a pool and very nice food and rooms if you want to treat yourself, assuming you have not had to declare yourself bankrupt to pay for the Mermaid trip !

Have a wonderful trip.

I found the earlier the flight the less chance of it to be late.
I had 3 flights from my trip to Cenderawashih Bay, Menekwari to Jakarta, and each one was late. And by Indonesian miracle I made them all. They actually were waiting for other flights to arrive and make connections. The second miracle was that my dive bag that I checked in made it too.

Thanks all - I heard back from Mermaid overnight. They indicated there will be no issue making the earlier flight. So I should be good to go to grab the long-haul award tickets.

Something to consider is Singapore Airlines. I usually take SingaporeAir IAH-SIN-DPS. Last November I flew on that route for $680 roundtrip. The inbound flight took off from DPS ~ 9:45pm, arriving SIN ~ 00:20am. Took off from SIN ~ 2:05am and landed in IAH on 2:20pm on same day.

I have flown this flight probably about 7-8 times to go to Alor, Komodo, Raja Ampat, WaKaToBi, Ambon, Bunaken / Lembeh & have not missed any connections (knock on wood). Next September I’m booked on Ring of Fire trip (Maurere-Ambon) with Blue Manta. I may take the same flight.

Something to consider is Singapore Airlines. I usually take SingaporeAir IAH-SIN-DPS. Last November I flew on that route for $680 roundtrip. The inbound flight took off from DPS ~ 9:45pm, arriving SIN ~ 00:20am. Took off from SIN ~ 2:05am and landed in IAH on 2:20pm on same day.

I have flown this flight probably about 7-8 times to go to Alor, Komodo, Raja Ampat, WaKaToBi, Ambon, Bunaken / Lembeh & have not missed any connections (knock on wood). Next September I’m booked on Ring of Fire trip (Maurere-Ambon) with Blue Manta. I may take the same flight.

I'm playing around with all of the options at this point - although EVA has business class availability and their business class is highly rated. It seems Singapore is getting really dinged by the reviewers for cramming their very good 777 seats into the A350 and the footwell for people over 6 feet is listed a major problem. Truly first world problems, but....

Also, EVA lands at LAX around 10pm and then I could pick up an easy LAX-DFW leg on AA that departs right around 1am and be back in DFW early Sunday morning. Plus, as of right now, there is no award availability on SX for the long-haul.

Between my AA point and the AMEX points I have enough to cover the trip and since AMEX can be moved to many airlines

Singapore Airlines are the hardest to redeem your points on, especially business class. EVA is nice enough, especially if you can get business class.
I used to fly Tokyo - SIN - Jakarta or DPS.
I am flying from Hong Kong to Sorong, stop only in Jakarta. Lots of luggage allowance, 30kg. At a good price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom