Minimalist versus "Train as you Fight" . . . Which way do you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, y'all just laugh your heads off because my drysuit is going to Bonaire! :scorned:

-- she who is comfortable with arctic undergarments in an 84o pool.

If your safety relies on diving the exact same gear config exactly the same, every time regardless of environment then I doubt that examining your skill would be worthwhile.

This is especially resounding given the recent fatality . . .

Well, y'all just laugh your heads off because my drysuit is going to Bonaire! :scorned:

-- she who is comfortable with arctic undergarments in an 84o pool.

Well, I would...but, I doubt I'll be able to see you from Roatan. :D

When are you going to Bonaire? My son and I are flying out for Roatan this Saturday morning. I'm thinking Bonaire might be mine and my son's "big trip" next year.

My basic configuration stays the same, with additions and subtractions according to environment. I try to take only what I think is needed, but I'm still growing and learning as I'm exposed to new environments. For example, I've got my tropical singles rig and warm-water cave rig configurations down fairly well, but having done only a handful of cold-water deeper dives, it might take me a wee while be fully comfortable with my kit. A session of five in the quarry ought to help before I hit the open water. As for a drysuit and the potential addition of an argon bottle, when I can afford them...well.

As I was saying, I try and keep the line-up of equipment, assembly and placement pretty uniform. I use the same mask and fins on all dives. I also use the same single-loop harness whether I'm diving singles or doubles. That way, the positioning of cutting tool, lights and so on always remains the same. I always use the same wrist slate and gauges, although I'll add a decompression computer to one of my forearms, set my recreational computer in gauge mode and leave off the compass on a cave dive. The SMB will also go by the wayside, but the spool stays dangling off my butt D-ring and is joined by a couple of spool/reel-friends. I use a can-light and two back-ups in the caves, but only one of my backups might come with me on a simple day-time warm-water reef bimble. Two back-ups only at night. If so, the back-ups will be clipped off on the same spots on my harness as they are in the caves. Obviously, I'll switch out wings if diving singles or doubles. I use a long-hose and bungeed back-up whether I'm diving singles or doubles, too.

Wow...this is scuba, folks. Not Combat. Adaptability is the key to survival when bullets start flying: gear changes, weapons jam, and folks die so you need to be able to adapt to changing circumstances and overcome them. Having had the opportunity to "train" on a weapon system 10 minutes before going outside the wire with it (a few times over), one should understand the basics of how the equipment in their chosen endeavor works and why, thus allowing them to transition between pieces of equipment with relative ease. Also, if you focus more on the similarities of your equipment more than the differences your learning curve is greatly shortened.

Once I learned how to ride a motorcycle and practiced a bit, I can transition between riding my bike and driving my Jeep (two completely different sets of motor skills, and some would say even mindset) fairly quickly. I don't find myself trying to press the gas pedal when I mean to roll on the throttle, or pulling in the left handle when I'm shifting gears in my Jeep. However I can rev-match on the downshift in either one (two COMPLETELY different sets of actions, muscle memory-wise, that both achieve the same effect) with a grace that is only limited by lack of track time to truly flesh it out on either machine. I fail to see how changing one little thing on my scuba gear should throw my world into confusion.

But, having said that I prefer to keep my gear as similar across my diving as possible. I'm lazy, I just hate taking things apart so if it all works and stores together I'm happier. That's it. But when I do change things, I try not to let myself become befuddled by them, and I would question any diver's ability to not handle small changes in their dive equipment.

Peace,
Greg

+1 for 'practice like you play, play like you practice.' Everyone is different, but I like being in automatic mode while diving, riding a motorcycle, etc. This allows me to fully enjoy the experience. This can only be done (by me) if your equipment is consistent in content and placement. Sure we can adapt to changes, but if you're gliding along and reach for a piece of equipment that's not there, suddenly you find you are now focused on your gear and not your dive.

Thal, a lot of what you are saying in this thread is resonating with me.

I try to mix it up as often as possible (because I like lots of different stuff) and because I believe dealing with sub optimal conditions during routine times better enables me to deal with sub optimal conditions during stressful times. In order to increase my ability to cope with stress I need to apply progressively greater positive stressors, not eliminate them.
Mixing up my gear also has helped me to better understand what each component is really meant to do and how those aims can be achieved by alternative means. For bouyancy I can use a BC, DS, lift bag, SMB, garbage bag in a goody bag, bleach bottle, my lungs... For weight I can use lead, some rocks, a line tied off on the bottom etc... And by constantly fiddling with those variables I have also begun to understand the relationship between bouyancy and weighting and the relevance of not over compensating either way.
In that regard my education has been tactile, not intellectually, based and (I hope) will reside with me longer and at a deeper level because of it.

As a ranger trained for arctic warfare I know one thing for sure: Desert gear in the arctic or arctic gear in the desert will leave you dead. There is no such thing as universal gear.

As a ranger trained for arctic warfare I know one thing for sure: Desert gear in the arctic or arctic gear in the desert will leave you dead. There is no such thing as universal gear.

Oh, BS! You still have your weapon, communications devices, water, food . . . :D

...and in all likelihood, some of the common accessories are stowed/stored at exactly the same place notwithstanding the environment so you always go to the same place to get to your bayonet, ammo, comms, etc

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom