Minimalist versus "Train as you Fight" . . . Which way do you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything goes in with me, with the exception of my camera (depending on vis), and my primary light. A lot of times, if the dive is getting boring, Ill just start working on skills, and practice removing equipment, using it, and the reattaching.

+1 and a note that my fins and weighting change according to my exposure protection.

Reactions: Jax
When I was a police officer - in basic training we were taught the importance of building a good muscle memory. In times of stress, the body falls back on this.

A classic example that really stuck with me, was a study done of police shootouts. Many dead detectives were found with their empty brass in their coat pockets, since they built up this muscle memory while doing their firearms training/qualification.

As a result I dive the same configuration every dive, 300' wrecks, to the blue heron bridge, I am rigged the same way.

Exactly the Army's viewpoint.

I am a minimalist. I dive for fun and don't want to be burdened with excess gear. I am not in combat, my life does not depend on split second decisions, rather keeping a calm and following plans I have practiced for. I always have a basic lightweight kit of safety gear (cutting tool, compass, backup light, SMB, computer, snorkel, whistle) but everything else is optional.

When I was a police officer - in basic training we were taught the importance of building a good muscle memory. In times of stress, the body falls back on this.

A classic example that really stuck with me, was a study done of police shootouts. Many dead detectives were found with their empty brass in their coat pockets, since they built up this muscle memory while doing their firearms training/qualification.

As a result I dive the same configuration every dive, 300' wrecks, to the blue heron bridge, I am rigged the same way.

Like the weightlifter that concentrates only on upper body, and neglects legs
it would be far less threatening to the lives of all if more was given to mind
training, using the legs to extricate ones self from situations, rather than
exacerbate them.

:eek:hbrother:

Just like Tony said aka Tienuts, our gear is always the same, from 15 foot macro photo shoot dives to the wrecks in 300 feet. The only exception might be no can light in the shallows. But as far as two back up lights, multiple cutting devices, back up mask, etc, it's all, always there. It's also one of the reasons we only dive ccr. We choose not to go back on forth between ccr and o/c. We dive one rig all the time. That way the muscle memory and tasks to be monitored are always the same.

You should always carry the least gear you can safely get away with.

Unless for some reason you can safely carry less.

When I'm on a dive op boat, I take the bare mininum required to get me on the boat.

Shore diving......it's fins, wetsuit, gloves, tank, weight belt, 1 knife, reg, and a mask.

I just say NO to spgs, computers, octos, bc's, quackers, bangers, sticks, slates, pockets, can lights, canned tuna, ponies, puppies, beanies, Spare Airs, whistles and Wii's. But I'm comfortable with that.

You should always carry the least gear you can safely get away with.

Unless for some reason you can safely carry less.

The definition of what is safe then is left for each person to define. As for me, I don't see how unclipping one back up light and leaving it at home because i am on a 15 foot macro photo dive is making me any safer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom