Mini-Stroke and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My friend just had a mini-stroke. We are planning on diving in July on a cruise. He had some balance problems and confusion and after a couple MRIs and other scans, they determined it was a mini-stroke. I would like some input on whether he is likely to be okay to dive by July. He is a very stubborn individual, in excellent physical condition, and he just turned 70. I have no experience with this and am looking for anyone else who has dealt with this.

DAN and his neurologist are great resources for whether he can/should dive. I would not rely on anecdotal stories you might get from folks on SB. Both of you need expert advice on this issue.

Does he have access to a physician trained in examination of divers? If so, that would be his best resource for clearance to dive. Absent any other information I think it's prudent that he not dive in April and get clearance from a diving physician prior to diving in December. There's no blanket answer as to whether or not he can dive again. If he does have another TIA in the water, snorkeling is marginally safer than diving provided he has a flotation device that will float him upright if he's unable to move.

Best regards,
DDM

I don't know what the expertise is of his doctor. I'm really beginning to question it since they released him from the hospital and he had another incident yesterday. He is back in the hospital now. He already has agreed that he can't dive before December, and maybe not even then. The hard part will be keeping him from going for abalone in June. We may have to tie him down.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your friend and fellow diver. I can't even imagine what would be going through my mind in that situation. No doubt very frightening. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom