Mini parrot wrench to open stuck tank valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
One of the most useful tools on a boat is a good old parrot wrench to open stuck tank valves
In case there is no wrench to get a grip on stuck tank valves you need to exert a strong force manually. Hands are often wet, so I also get hands skin cracked which is annoying
I am wondering if there is a very small tool to open stuck tank valves. It should be very small, so that it can fit in the BCD pockets or in a dry box, or in the save a dive kit. Preferably made of plastic which is lighter and doesn't make rust

By "tank valve" do you mean the knob that turns on the air, or the knob that holds a yoke first-stage on the tank?

There are 16cm long slip-jaw pliers called ignition pliers. They are too small to fit on either of the knobs above. It would be better to use a strap wrench anyway, and you can get those in plastic and rubber.

I've never heard the term parrot wrench and had to look it up

Pictures are better than words for this!

...//... I am wondering if there is a very small tool to open stuck tank valves. It should be very small, so that it can fit in the BCD pockets or in a dry box, or in the save a dive kit. Preferably made of plastic which is lighter and doesn't make rust
Maybe this: Neoprene Jar Opener

(works for me)

Someone needs to be doing better valve maintenance. IJS.

I think parrot wrench is British English, if it is real English indeed and I am not just translating word by word from my mother tongue language...
Usually the one that can get stuck is the knob that holds a yoke first-stage on the tank
Anyway last weekend it happened to me that the the knob that turns on the air got stuck, so both of them
The strap wrench seems to be perfect

Someone needs to be doing better valve maintenance. IJS.
You are right, this happens often when something goes wrong with the valves maintenance
Last weekend for example there was a sort of hexagon nut that got loose and at first I didn't notice. It was exactly the one were the first stage of the reg is connected to the yoke of the tank. After it was almost impossible to unmount it by hand. Had to to use the wrench and then I tightened the nut with an allen wrench. After everything was working fine

You are right, this happens often when something goes wrong with the valves maintenance
Last weekend for example there was a sort of hexagon nut that got loose and at first I didn't notice. It was exactly the one were the first stage of the reg is connected to the yoke of the tank. After it was almost impossible to unmount it by hand. Had to to use the wrench and then I tightened the nut with an allen wrench. After everything was working fine
Required torque for outlet adapter, 40-50 inch-lbs or 5 newton-meters. That will stop the outlet adapter from unscrewing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom