Min recommended alkaline battery voltage on Petrel 2 EXT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flymolo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Shearwater,

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but is there a minimum recommended voltage for alkaline batteries when used in the Petrel 2 EXT? I understand that below a certain voltage they are more likely to leak and cause damage to the internals of the computer. I check my battery voltage prior to each diving day and notice a slight decline (usually about .01 or so) after several hours of diving, so I'm wondering when is the best time to swap it out.

Thanks!

Under no load an alkaline battery voltage is going to be about 1.26V when discharged to 30% of capacity. Under a light load like your typical dive computer 1.20V would likely be a good time to replace the battery.

It's better to use Photo Lithium cells if you are not using a rechargable battery. They last far longer and won't ever leak. I use these in my Petrel 2 EXT's and they last about 40 hours of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom