Military Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
note: this has nothing to do with the war!!!

I was browsing through the army web site reading about the diver MOS and I am almost considering joining up. I know that many of you are/were in the military, were any of you divers? what insight could you give me before I do something I might regret.

thanks

There are 2 basic general types of military divers; the construction/salvage type & the combat type. Not sure where to stick the clearance-EOD so I'll lump them with combat swimmers-etc. (sorry guys):wink:
The construction-salvage divers can usually find a job in the private sector when they get out, as long as they don't stay in long enough to retire. You're over the hill at age 40 (38 for Army) & they keep ya up on deck or shuffeling papers.
If you do enlist, get your dive school guarantee in writing!!!

You can also take a 40 hour course in hardhat diving so you'll have a chance to see how well you like fumbeling around in black water & high currents.

See: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24421

I'd highly recommend it before signing away 6 years of your life or plunking down $10 grand on a commercial dive school.

joining the Navy, (EOD) it would definetley be nice to hear about it first hand if anybody has experience!!:)

Kayla:)

hehe

If I read you right, I think the following information is is what you are looking for.

US Army Engineer Diver - [red]MOS 00B[/red]

Now if you want the official "PR" description of the Army Diving Engineer MOS, here you are -

"Major duties. The diver supervises or performs underwater reconnaissance, demolition, repair, and salvage. Entry Level. Performs underwater work as directed from topside supervisor or lead diver. Operates power support equipment, emplaces demolitions and performs as secondary air systems operator during diving and recompression chamber operations. Skill Level 2. Performs as lead diver during underwater work. Prepares patching materials and pumps for salvage operations. Prepares explosives for placement. Prepares rigging and lifting devices for salvage of submerged objects. Assists diving supervisor in preparing equipment for diving operations. Performs as primary operator on air systems and underwater support equipment during diving and recompression chamber operations."

If you want the OOB Homepage on the web here it is - MOS 00B

Also see This URL here...

And here is a PDF file with some goodies

The Army has had divers for over 60 years. Few people in the military, and even fewer in the civilian community, know Army Divers even exist or what they do for a living.

The Army's engineer diver has a totally different training program and mission than the special forces combat diver, whom they are often confused with. The Army has approximately 150 positions for engineer divers. Of these, only about 115 are filled.

The Army student attends a special class that is similar to the US Navy second-class-diver training course. The student will start by learning scuba diving. He then learns surface-supplied diving using the US Navy MK-21 helmet. The diving student is then trained on underwater hydraulic tools, underwater welding and burning, ships husbandry, hydrographic surveys, and several other skills. Once he has completed the general Navy training, the student then attends six more weeks of Army training that specializes in underwater demolitions, equipment, and leadership skills.

The training lasts 29 crazy weeks, with a small percentage of soldiers that begin the training actually graduating. The successful new diver is sent to one of the active duty diving units in Fort Eustis, Virginia, or Fort Shafter, Hawaii. It is there that the diver really begins to learn how to work and dive.

Career Paths
Unlike the Navy, where diving is often an additional duty that is performed when a need arises, Army divers perform diving duty every day for the rest of their career. Another difference is that instead of being segmented into different diving jobs, such as a Fleet diver, Seabee diver, or an Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) technician, an Army diver may work on a ship one week and a pier the next, or have to perform an underwater demolition mission at another time.

If the Army diver is stationed at Fort Eustis, he may perform work throughout the entire United States, as well as Europe and the Middle East. If the diver is stationed at Fort Shafter, he will work in the Pacific Ocean and the Far East.

In the past three years, Army divers have worked for the Coast Guard, the Corps of Engineers, and other military units. Some of their accomplishments include: inspection and repair of four dams in the United States; inspecting and repairing eight ships; quay wall and pier inspection/repair in Kwajalien and Key West, Florida; and training on the Navy Offshore Petroleum Discharge System.

The career progression of an Army diver is considerably different from the Navy and commercial industry. In the Army, a new diver is often the person in the water the most. This is done to train the diver as quickly as possible and help him develop the knowledge and traits necessary to become a diving supervisor.

The Future of Army Divers
The Army dive field is going through a period of expansion. The last time there were this many Army divers was during World War II. The Army recently increased the number of authorized positions up to approximately 150 divers. It will take several years to fill this demand.

If there are any conflicts or deployments of military forces, look for Army divers to be sent to clear the way and repair facilities. Army divers have been on virtually every deployment in order to inspect and repair piers and harbors so that cargo vessels can be offloaded. Security swims to protect facilities and vessels are another job Army divers can accomplish safely and effectively.

In the Army, it often seems as if only 20 percent of the people even know there are divers in the Army. Of this, less than half know what we do. The biggest Myth told about the dive field is that there is a widespread rumor that we must drown a person and then bring them back to life.

Another area of confusion is that we are often mistaken for Special Forces combat divers.

On top of all these issues is the fact that when a disaster occurs, the Navy divers are often the only ones reported in the news...

Then watch this Video here (Need Real Video)

Now after reading all of that above, and watching the video, [red]Forget about all of it[/red]!

Do you believe everything you read, watch or hear? HAHA ... I swear they got Donny and Marie Osmond to "Fluff it up a bit". "Come on down to Club Med[sm](evil)[/sm] and Dive with us" ... LOL

[red]= - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =[/red]

If you are interested in the specifics of a "Special Forces Combat Diver", then NOW we are talking! hehe, PM me if this is what you are after and we can talk.

Just ask Ladydiver, I can be heard chanting this at times and don't even realize I am doing it... hehe

Two old ladies were lying in bed
One rolled over to the other and said
"I wanna be an Airborne Ranger
Live the life of guts and danger"
Guts and danger
Airborne Ranger
Same two ladies were lying in bed
"I wanna be a scuba diver
Dive right into murky water"
Scuba diver, murky water
Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger
Same two old ladies lying in bed
"I wanna be a mountain climber
Climb that mountain, higher and higher"
Mountain climber, higher and higher
Scuba diver, murky water
Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger

KN

=-)

Except...

Now after reading all of that above, and watching the video, Forget about all of it!

Its all true!!! Deep-Sea!!

joining the Navy, (EOD) it would definetley be nice to hear about it first hand if anybody has experience!!

My partner here at FSU is a prior service submariner who decided to stay in the reserves as a E.O.D. diver. The reserve mission is more focused on mine / counter mine. Active duty EOD is very diverse...

Navy EOD training begins in Panama City Florida with the dive portion of the training, it is pretty tough (attrition is near 50%) the graduates head on to a joint service training center where the munitions specific training is covered. (I do not have any first hand knowledge of this portion of training)

Not sure where to stick the clearance-EOD so I'll lump them with combat swimmers-etc. (sorry guys)

well.... they like to be called special operations now...

I was browsing through the army web site reading about the diver MOS and I am almost considering joining up. I know that many of you are/were in the military, were any of you divers? what insight could you give me before I do something I might regret.

I joined the Army during Desert Storm in 1991 as a Military Police officer. After training I was stationed in Honduras, after working the job for a while I realized it was not what I wanted to do long term... While looking for something more I found a small ad in the Army Times requesting volunteers for DEEP SEA divers.
I applied and was accepted and sent to the pre-screening course (now called the divers transition course) a ten day assessment (prior to the institution of this course the Army students attending dive school had an attrition rate of over 50%, since inception the pass rate is at 98%)
After completion I went to Navy second class diver training in Panama City Florida 93, Navy underwater construction technitian basic course in CA 93, then Navy First class diver supervisory course in FL 96, and Salcage construction demoilitions diver course in FL 96, in 1996 I began teaching the pre-screen course 96-99, and in 1999 was assigned as in instructor/writer at the dive school. In 1999 the Army designed and implemented a stand alone training course lasting over six months that covers basic dive training and the underwater construction technitian course as well as some combat operation training all in one location.

The Army engineer dive field has absorbed the mission of what used to be combat engineer divers (12B J) this includes river recon, mine counter mine operations.

This move on my part was the best decision I ever made, I had a great time and learned alot as an Army diver, but like Bob said if your goals involve a career in diving commercially outside the military you have some more learning to do and need to move quick because the average age for divers is from 20-30...

I for one can say I have no regrets...

Good Luck!!!

Let us know what you decide...

Jeff Lane

Thanks for you input, I'm going to talk to a recuter next week, maybe. Truth is, I'm only 19, 1/2 way through college and have absolutly no future in mind other than to dive. Thanks KN for the links, I had already seen most of them, but I liked the video. But it leaves one nagging question. What was on the lunch menu?

They were all in the Navy.

Navy divers that made it through scuba school (very demanding in itself) had a VERY tough time in EOD school. Some classes had so many students fail and get rolled back to other classes that they disbanded entire classes. The Navy students had to pass underwater performance tests on mines and torpedoes in zero visability conditions and had to do everything right the first time. Army, Marine and Airforce EOD students didn't even study mines and torpedoes. BTW, the Navy wasn't the only service that had entire classes wash out. EOD school is a joint service school.

Army divers (00B) are mostly construction/demolition types. Can you spell push up? We had some Army divers come to Johnston Island once or twice. They couldn't have had more than 2% body fat. Can you spell run-all-day? It's not a recreational type of diving. They came to do and job, then move on to the next one (after consuming more than their fair share of beer).

I'm EOD. I'm also a diver. However, I'm NOT an EOD diver. I'll leave that to personnel that had more training than I did. I've rambled enough. Someone else can have a turn.

PS. Army and Navy divers still use horse collar BC's.:boom:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom