Mighty Tape to repair a reg hose under water? Hmmm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
I was surfing youtube tonight and came across this gem. Watch at the 30 second mark as they get all dramatic about safely bringing a diver back by using Mighty Tape to repair the hose on his second stage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st0SUrAG-D4

I thought about putting this in the humor forum, but I put it here to hopefully discuss what you really should to when you have a hose or other failure.

FYI, I like the blue Mighty Tape better than the red, just in case anyone cares. LOL

At the end of the video, after successfully sealing the hose, Billy made the "go up" signal instead the "OK" signal.
Pretty bad......

You can probably use your own alternate if there's a puncture in your main regulator hose. Then you can ascend safely with your buddy.

If both hoses are punctured, you could use a buddy's alternate and ascend safely. If your buddy is too far away (oops!), I was taught to safely ascend and if you ran out of air, CESA. But the tape is also a good idea. I'll have to bring a roll next dive.

I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Actually, I keep that tape in my save-a-dive kit, and have used it for all sorts of field repairs. Even once wrapped it around my wrist to "repair" a busted wrist seal so I could finish a class I was taking. Worked out just fine.

Yeah, the scuba scene's pretty bogus ... but it is, after all, a TV commercial. The tape itself is pretty handy stuff for a scuba diving SaD kit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Notice that they never did show the size of the leak, It was hidden with the divers exhaust. Also the repair was leaking after the fix. I'll stick with mil spec EB green (duct tape).

Bob
---------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I can see the tape to repair a dry suit gasket. However, there is usually a lot less pressure to contain in a dry suit that in a regulator hose, depending on what you ate recently.. (Sorry, the set up for that line could not go unexploited! ) I too carry tape in my save a dive kit, but would not normally use it to repair a leaky hose. I would be more likely to remove the leaky hose from the first stage after surfacing. I should think that surfacing can be done, even with a big leak, without sharing air, and it can be done in much shorter time than locating the tape and applying it under water.
DivemasterDennis
DivemasterDennis

I can see the tape to repair a dry suit gasket. However, there is usually a lot less pressure to contain in a dry suit that in a regulator hose, depending on what you ate recently.. (Sorry, the set up for that line could not go unexploited! ) I too carry tape in my save a dive kit, but would not normally use it to repair a leaky hose. I would be more likely to remove the leaky hose from the first stage after surfacing. I should think that surfacing can be done, even with a big leak, without sharing air, and it can be done in much shorter time than locating the tape and applying it under water.

DivemasterDennis
DivemasterDennis

I thought all good scuba divers try to fix their problems underwater and not run to the surface. I always carry some tape to fix leaky hoses underwater.

At the end of the video, after successfully sealing the hose, Billy made the "go up" signal instead the "OK" signal.
Pretty bad......
To the rest of the world, that IS the 'OK' signal... :)

It would be difficult to convince me that this is a better option than simply ascending and replacing the hose.

Oh dear - well if it makes someone think better of their bathroom repair to think it is good enough for scuba then so be it. As far as I am concerned I would not either try to repair a pipe underwater like that, or dive with one that had been done like that -

Back
Top Bottom