Miflex hose failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viakovlev

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I've heard that HP Miflex hoses were recalled and then replaced. Now, not sure if the new ones are reliable. However, have not heard of LP hoses failing. This weekend I was swapping some gear and one 3/8 end of a Miflex hose broke through the thread while threading the h not even hand tight. Obviously it was weakened before. We just came from Galapagos, and posiibly it was knocked. Now, when I compared Miflex bore with regular rubber hoses and Atomic hoses, it is clear that Miflex 3/8 (connecting to the 1st stage) threading is on much thinner brass tube wall. The bore is larger, but the wall is thinner. Practically 1mm or even less. Imagine that there can be quite a bit of force on the metal connector part because it is relatively a long lever. Adding a possibility of low quality of metal.....not hard to bust. Has anyone else saw a broken 3/8 or other brass parts on Miflex or Phantom hoses?

I am now concerned and started looking for hoses with stainless steel ends. Anyone knows if hoses with stainless steel ends (at least 3/8 end) exist?

I guess nobody had an LP hose fitting broken that way. I just could not figure out why Miflex uses larger bore of the fitting. To provide more air or save on metal?

Another issue I discovered with Miflex: they rub your neck if looped around it. Not an issue with BM, but certainly is with sidemount. More, after some use the hoses get some micro fraying on the surface. This feels like sandpaper.

I could not find hoses with stainless steel fittings for recreational market. I guess I just need to get good quality rubber hoses. Anybody can recommend one brand of rubber hoses over another?

I have Miflex and phantom hoses, LP and HP, no issues at all. I did check the numbers for the recall but mine weren't affected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom