Miflex High Pressure Hose Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
SAFETY RECALL
Miflex High Pressure Braided Scuba Diving Hoses
In Cooperation With United States CPSC and Health Canada

miflex-recall-main.jpg

HOSES CAN RUPTURE REDUCING THE AVAILABLE AIR SUPPLY TO THE DIVER, POSING A DROWNING RISKThis recall involves hoses sold after May 2009 within Canada, The United States and U.S. Territories. Primarily these hoses were sold as individual replacement gauge hoses. Additionally, they were sold as Cascade Hoses, Deluxe Cylinder Equalizer (P/N AC366), Miflex Two Gauge Console (HL300/HL300M) and Miflex Rebreather Kits.

MiFlex Low Pressure Hoses are not affected by this recall

Miflex high pressure hoses can be identified by:
1. A black nylon braided outer covering on the hose
2. A hose diameter of approximately 1/4 inch (6mm)
3. Manufacturing stamping on the female fitting "MFX"
IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE HOSES, IMMEDIATELY STOP USING IT.
CALL TOLL FREE 888-249-5404 DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS
OR FOLLOW THE BUTTONS ABOVE FOR INSTRUCTIONS TO RECEIVE
A FACTORY AUTHORIZED REPLACEMENT HIGH PRESSUE HOSE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for clarification [I called them], this is for ALL of their HP hoses, both old and new style. The images show only the old style.
The replacements will be beefier, like 7+mm and use titanium in some form or another. I forget the details.
They will be easily identifiable.

This is what was posted in the Washington Post

SCUBA DIVING HOSESDETAILS: Miflex High Pressure Scuba Diving Hoses imported by XS Scuba, Inc., of Santa Ana, Calif. and manufactured by Miflex 2, of Villasanta, Italy;
sold at scuba diving retailers and online between May 2009 and April 2012.
The high pressure hose is used to monitor cylinder pressure for the air supply in tanks for scuba diving. The hoses have MFX stamped on the hose’s end fitting. They were sold as individual replacement gauge hoses and as cascade hoses.
WHY: The diving hose can rupture, reducing the available air supply to the diver, posing a drowning hazard.
INCIDENTS: XS Scuba has received reports of 189 hose failures. No injuries reported.
HOW MANY: About 17,000.
FOR MORE: Contact XS Scuba at 888-249-5404 Monday through Friday between11 a.m. and 8 p.m. EDT, or visit the firm’s website at XS Scuba Dive Gear & Accessories .

-Wes

Like 3D? Check out my 3D Project here on Kickstarter --- 3D Scuba Exploration! by Wes Seleen — Kickstarter

I almost bought one of these a while back but opted not to as there were many reports of people having these hoses blow out. I am glad I listened to the reviews :)

Statistically 1% of the 17,000 ruptured. Good thing none separated.

I remember a SB member was on the warpath about these HP hoses about a year ago. Glad to see something's being done about it.

Statistically 1% of the 17,000 ruptured. Good thing none separated.

"XS Scuba has received reports of 189 hose failures"

189/17,000=0.01% not 1% - although I know there were more failures that weren't reported

I don't see what difference seperating would make

Here is what a ruptured high pressure Miflex hose looks like. My Miflex hose blew up on me in between dives during a surface interval. When it blew, it started out with a hissing noise, like a bad o-ring. Then it ruptured. The hose ruptured in two different places simultaneously. When the Miflex ruptured, it sounded like a gun shot.

IMG_3014.jpg IMG_3016.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom