Middle of the night thoughts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
About 3am I woke up thinking about the team and the days training.

It didn’t register during the training but there is a real problem area with new divers that we just don’t see.

When they take their initial OW class it's tougher than the average sport student gets. They go through all the required stuff but there are special request areas that get covered.

Not all that different but different enough to make a difference in what we have to do later.

On yesterdays second dive we got to a bit over 70’ with good vis so neither was an issue. But what could have been an issue was the dozens of metal frames and canvas tops that littered the bottom. These are BIG metal frames with a canvas like material that cover two boat slips. Some of the frames still have the material attached but most have been totally or partially separated.

So we go down and meander around, through, over and under these frames. It made for some cool relaxing diving as the guys were doing just fine.

Towards the end we had some separations but everyone came back together at the preplanned point.

What never dawned on me until it woke me up is I was diving with some real FNG’s and there wouldn’t have been a soul out there that could have noticed that.

They had the buoyancy control of a true professional or well seasoned diver. They stayed off the bottom, didn’t smack into the plethora of tangled metal pipes going every which direction as they swam through that maze.

They had the same control shallow as they did deep which can be tough for new divers. When they hit the surface they barely made a ripple as their head gradually broke the surface tension.

Back on shore we talked about the problems they THOUGHT they were having. One said he had trouble with the air going between his upper body and his feet. I told him he would improve in time. Like this is only his third and fourth dry suit dives.

Another one said he felt like he kept shooting for the surface but in reality he only moved a few inches before getting adjusted. Nobody noticed a problem but him and this was only his second and third dry suit dives.

Even when these guys were diving wet there weren’t any problems with buoyancy. Why? It isn’t just with this group but with all of them over the years. What they think is a problem I have to chuckle at. Some day I will show them some problems and maybe they will realize they don’t have any. So what is it? Do they pay more attention, stay more focused, realize this is serious stuff and not a game, what is the difference?

Gary D.

So what is it? Do they pay more attention, stay more focused, realize this is serious stuff and not a game, what is the difference?
Gary,
I am not as seasoned as yourself, but I am a Dive Con and a PSD so not only have I aided in training some new divers in thier OW but Ive set up and trained with them in as real as we could get situations. I have noticed the same thing you are writing about. I think all the above is a factor in why their bouyancy and control is better than youre regular ow divers. But I think that it takes a special breed of ppl that do PSD, and Ill use the word "talent" loosley but these trainees are usually very cool under pressure, and really understand the importance of doin what their doin well and MOST have this talent. Also I think a real factor is that in class I make sure the divers that will be on my team dont just learn mask clearing but sit in a circle and pass masks around that circle until they get theirs back, take em off throw em into the deep end and go find a mask,clear it then find their own and swap it with that diver until they all have their own again. I like our divers to be very comfortable in the water with their basic skills so that when they are wrestling a dry suit, current, a tangle of rebar under a bridge, or what ever isnt "normal" they can concentrate on the more difficult aspects of our job.
now this will sound dumb as hell but would somebody explain to me what a FNG is? not an abreviation I am familiar with..

FNG, kinda like "Flipping New Guy" I do believe :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

First, I have no experience with PSD's. I usually get a "mixed bag of talent" if you will in my OW classes. Some of the students are excellent while others...not so much. I finally realized what the difference is. The ones who get the buoyancy control down quickly when we go to open water are the same ones who, instead of goofing off while I'm checking a skill with another buddy pair, are actively working on their skills. Every chance they get they practice their buoyancy. "Playtime" finds them not just sitting across from each other tossing the toypedo back and forth. They are the ones who are swimming side-by-side with their buddy trying to maintain their position in the water while tossing the toypedo back and forth at the same time. They are the ones who challenge themselves to do every skill in every combination they can think of and they drill and coach each other when they think I'm not watching.

These are probably the sorts of people who are attracted to PSD work. I think the difference is they are willing to work harder than the average OW student and they enjoy challenging themselves.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom