Middle Ear Barotrauma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgclarke

Reaction score
My wife and I are not divers, but our doctor told us that what my wife has is quite common amongst divers.

About 5 weeks ago, my wife went down a very fast waterslide and was instantly submerged in about 5 feet of water. Since then her right ear has been plugged and no matter what she does, she can't "pop" it.

Our doctor said that this kind of injury is similar to what divers commonly experience in the first 10 feet of water if they submerge too fast.

Her ear is slowly getting better, but is still crackling and popping. About a week and a half ago, she started suffering from almost constant nausea.

Is it possible for this ailment to cause constant nausea?

Thanks...Brad

I'm not a physician (nor do I play one on TV :wink:) but if memory serves, the middle or "inner ear" is also where the part of your body is that regulates your sense of balance. (I want to say "semicircular canal", but I'm not sure if thats right.)

And if that is being affected by the congestion of a middle ear barotrauma, then nausea may certainly be a result. That and a problem with balance or diziness.

Has your wife discussed this with her physician? She certainly needs to.

Hope she gets well soon,

~SubMariner~

We talked to him last night, and for the moment he's hoping that the nausea is being caused by the ear problem.

He said to give it another week, and if there's no change he's going to order some tests on her digestive system to see if there is a problem.

Brad

When the ears are the source of nausea, the nausea is usually accompanied by a whirling or spinning sensation.
This may be in any direction, and some patients may feel as though they are sitting still and the room is swirling around them.

The swirling sensation can often be aggravated by moving your head, and relieved by lying perfectly still with no head movement.

The comment that she feels like her ear is full of water is typical for barotrauma.
The vast majority of these heal within a couple weeks.

Nausea and dizziness can often be relieved with use of Meclizine, which is the active ingredient in non-drowsy Dramamine.

It sounds like your doctor is familiar with the problem and proceeding approriately.

I hope it continues to clear.
John Reinertson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom