Mid Zoom in Flatport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fota

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

In the latest issue of UWP I read an article about mid zoom lenses. What I found interesting was that the writer was using a flatport. I got my attention and I went down the basement and inserted my old plastic 35-80 zoom lens on my D200 and tested it if fit in the Ike housing's makro 60mm flatport (with focus knob).
And it did, I could even use the focus knob for zooming. Perfect!
So, I tested a few shot at both max zoom and "wide angle" and they all came out nicely. Sure, 35 x 1.5 = 52.5, not much of a wide angle and actually pretty close to the 60mm (when using it on a 35 mm SLR of full frame D-SLR).

I know I will get an enlarged image in a flatport (that I wont get in a dome), but I don't mind.

My question is: will this setup work?
If so, will it work well?

Or is it a baaaad idea?
If so, why?

What about me spending some cash on a better mid zoom lens and use it in my Ike 60mm port? I guess when it becomes to wide I will get black at the edges, and maybe I'm already really close?

Finally, why isn't more people using flatports on mid zooms uw? I mean, my 60mm port is surely not the best choice, I'm sure there are others better suited for the job.

/Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom