Mid Nov: Day trip from Phuket for novice diver - Similan/Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Going with a nondiver to Phuket for 2 days and I'll like to do a day trip dive. Only done one dive since certification last year.

Have mixed suggestions from DCs on Similans or Phi Phi or even Latitude for possibility of kayaking/water slides.

It's been half a year since my last dive. What would be rcommended for a good trip?would

Hi Ambivalent

I will not suggest Similan Islands or Phi Phi Islands, especially when you are a novice diver and have a non-diver with you. If you like to have a relaxing day for both of you and get some more experience as a diver then book a trip to Racha Noi/Racha Yai with three dives. Most dive sites around these islands are suitable for all levels of divers and are great for snorkelers.

If you choose the Similan Islands you will be in for a very long day. Pick-up is around 6.30, your first dive around 11.00 and you will be back home around 19.00. Although the diving is great, I think to much time is spent/wasted on transfer. The Phi Phi Islands dive trips are usually combined with a a dive around Shark Point, Koh Doc Mai or the King Cruiser Wreck and with your experience, I would advise against diving any of them (King Cruiser is a no-go for unexperienced and beginner divers). Hopefully you'll have many years of diving in front of you, but improving your dive skills is cruisial for great dive expeience.

This is my answer to another diver just a few days ago; "The dive sites at Racha Yai are suitable for all levels of scuba divers. At Racha Noi, most are suitable but some are not (south point for beginners is a big no-go) Visibility is normally in the range 10 - 30 meter and currents are from nothing to mild but some days around full moon a bit harder. Last year we spotted whale sharks and manta rays, although they have become more and more rare. You'll find all kinds of tropical fish and corals so get a really good dive guide. There are several day trips offering 2 dive at Racha Yai only and they are usually very crowded (not recommended for a relaxing day out)

The prices are slightly different and ranging from 3,500 THB - 4,100 THB. Equipment rental will be 400 THB - 800 THB for a complete set. Boats are leaving the pier around 8.30 - 9.00 and will be back around 17.00. The prices include pick-up from your hotel (some areas have an extra charge), breakfast, lunch, fruit, water, coffee, tea and three dives with a dive guide."

I hope this helped you a bit. I'm based in Phuket so feel free to contact me if you need some help and more advises.

Michael

Last edited:
Since you're staying in the vicinity of the airport, Similans is a very good option. First dive will be around 10.00 hours BTW, not 11.00.

By far the best alternative would be Racha Noi with 3 dives, excellent for both divers and snorkelers.

I did the Similans almost immediately after my OW and was fine. It's a long , but fun day and stopping off to have lunch on the beach is great. Tell the shop that you are a newbie and ask if the DM can keep.a special eye on you.

The Racha Islands would be the best option for both a newer diver and snorkeler, easy site and clear shallow water.
Similans can be done in a daytrip but is a very long day, there are a couple of companies that run trips from Phuket there which all the dive shops use, they offer both diving and snorkeling on the trips, one company splits the divers and snorkelers up for the day, the other caters predominantly to divers, so you may find yourself on a site not suitable for snorkeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom