Mid lens for Nikon D500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hezishohat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

I use the Nikon D500 in Nauticam housing.

I currently own:
Tokina 10-17
Nikon 60
Nikon 105

I want to add a mid range lens

one way is to use my 60mm for mid size fish too
or to add one of those:
Nikkor 16-85mm
Sigma 17-70mm C

I would like to get your advice
Thanks, Hezi

Not sure that you are going to get much more with either of those than with the 60 you already have. It is my go to when I don’t know what I am going to see. Allows pretty good macro up to mid range fish. Anything larger you are going to want wide angle anyway. Might be nice to have that kind of range from a single lens but not sure how ports would work across that kind of range??

You could add a Kenko 1.4 TC and a zoom gear to use with the Tokina 10-17. That gives a bit more reach and is fun to shoot w/a macto shots with. I'm not sure what dome port you have.
The Sigma 17-70mm is an ok lens, not as sharp as the others, but a decent choice for a mid-range zoom.

Jack

Thank you Jack
I own the 4'' dome so anyway the Kenko will not fit in
plan to order 8'' dome port with extension.

When you add the Kenko 1.4, The lens is place few centimeters forward, how do you use the zoom gear on the Tokina?

Plus, If you already here, I would like your opinion also about 8'' Glass or Acrylic

Many thanks, Hezi

Last edited:
You also need a new zoom gear. You add a 20mm extension and it will fit fine in the 4" port.

Acrylic is less expensive, much lighter and more buoyant (almost too buoyant). It scratches easily, but can be buffed out fairly easily as well with Novus plastic polish. Glass has less reflections, is a bit better optically, heavier (but usually balances out the housing better) and is more expensive.

Unless you are intending this for topside use you are barking up the wrong tree. Your next lens should be the 10.5. It's quite extreme and you'll have to practise with it for dozens of dives, but once you have the measure of it it can take the most stunning images.

I have a Nikon 12 - 24 which I can use with an extension ring under a 8" dome. Honestly, I never use the thing and I should just sell it. I just find it's a "compromise" lens, but it' really doesn't suit any particular purpose... I also have the 10-17 and 60...

As memory serves, Sigma has a 17-70 macro lens that goes on a dome. Nauticam has the zoom gear for it. It does not do true macro more like close ups. But it is good for medium sized fish to divers, turtles and groupers. It is a good wide range zoom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom