Mid-July Roatan Trip, West Bay Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimbo2032

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm planning a trip with some friends mid-July to Roatan. We are staying at a place we found on VRBO in the West Bay area. From doing some reading on these forums and elsewhere it sounds like there is lots of great diving to be had!

The 'official' reason for the visit is a wedding, but I'm just in it for the diving. I'd like to get as much in as possible while I can. Which are the best dive sites that can be reached from the shore in the West Bay? Are there any must see dives that would warrant taking a boat to?

I've already heard back from CoCo that they do not do any day guest packages, so I think those sites aren't going to be accessible, unfortunately. I feel like that is going to be a common theme for the resorts.

I know there is lots of information already posted here, but I am looking for summer 2017 updated information. Storms, tourists, manmade problems could have changed the conditions since the last post on a given area and I'd like to be informed.

Also, I've read that spearfishing is a strict no-go anywhere in Honduras, but lobster is a little more vague. I dove for lobster once in Key Largo and was by far one of my favorite dive trips. Is it legal anywhere for an American to dive for lobster? What kind of licensing do I need to get if it is?

I'm looking at West Bay Divers since they are a short walk from where we are staying, does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about them?

I'm planning a trip with some friends mid-July to Roatan. We are staying at a place we found on VRBO in the West Bay area. From doing some reading on these forums and elsewhere it sounds like there is lots of great diving to be had!

The 'official' reason for the visit is a wedding, but I'm just in it for the diving. I'd like to get as much in as possible while I can. Which are the best dive sites that can be reached from the shore in the West Bay? Are there any must see dives that would warrant taking a boat to?

I've already heard back from CoCo that they do not do any day guest packages, so I think those sites aren't going to be accessible, unfortunately. I feel like that is going to be a common theme for the resorts.

I'm looking at West Bay Divers since they are a short walk from where we are staying, does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about them?

If you want to spend a couple of days, Reefhouse resort located nearer the east end of the island does day packages if they have room, and can take you to Calvins Crack and points east. Its a bit of a ride, although cruise ship divers do it, for a one day at reefhouse.

I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with some westbay ops that can fill your needs.

I know there is lots of information already posted here, but I am looking for summer 2017 updated information. Storms, tourists, manmade problems could have changed the conditions since the last post on a given area and I'd like to be informed.

Also, I've read that spearfishing is a strict no-go anywhere in Honduras, but lobster is a little more vague. I dove for lobster once in Key Largo and was by far one of my favorite dive trips. Is it legal anywhere for an American to dive for lobster? What kind of licensing do I need to get if it is?

Not much in the way of shore diving around West Bay. The reef is too far from shore but it does get closer towards the north tip of the island. My last trip we stayed and did our diving with Las Rocas (Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center – Roatan – Roatan premier dive resort located in West Bay Beach) but there are many good dive shops up & down West Bay, just stay away from the cattle boats. No to spearfishing and no to lobstering. I never dove with them but I understand West Bay Divers to be good. Just ask them what the maximum amount of divers will be on the boat, more that 6-8, forget it, a cattle boat. Texas & Pablos Place were always my favorite dives, walls with some current.
Roatan Dive Sites.JPG

There is plenty of shore diving on the west end, unfortunately most shops will not rent tanks unless your diving on their boat. I shore dive off West Bay / West End at least once a week.

Where are you staying? I know of a wedding party coming in and if your in that party your staying with the folks that run one of the better dive boats. No more than 6 divers, hour plus dives, great op.

No spear fishing unless your lion fish hunting and then, technically you are supposed to go through the coarse with the marine park. Lobster is limited to in season, you are not going to be here during the season.

You can swim out to Blue Channel from Sueno Del Mar's beach - one of few places in the West End that we were told might rent tanks daily.

Another possibility could be the east point of Half Moon Bay - Sea Grape Plantation went to a lot of trouble to install a concrete pad for access including tank holders. Check with the shop on-site for tank availability. You start the dive there and drift around the point - I've heard either landing at Half Moon Resort or possibly Half Moon Bay Beach. From the former you could walk back to Sea Grape on a path that runs behind the resorts, from the latter you might want to flag a cab. Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Sea Grape of Honduras, Roatan, Caribbean

A possibility in West Bay - Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: West Bay Beach of Honduras, Roatan, Caribbean

Most of the others listed are now on private property or front dive resorts with no day access. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Honduras, Roatan, Caribbean
Are there any must see dives that would warrant taking a boat to?
We also liked Texas a lot. Mary's Place is one of the Signature Roatan dives - it's on the south side. Bananarama in West Bay has it on their schedule afaik. Native Sons in the West End will do it if there's enough demand. We took a cab over to Barefoot Divers at Barefoot Caye and dove it with them, it's 5 mins. by boat off their dock. They have a cruise program so are used to/schedule for day divers. I think they offer 2 dives/lunch - our other dive was the Prince Albert off Cocoview.

Last edited:
FYI. Every beach in Honduras is public from the high water mark up 16 ft so if someone is trying to restrict access tell them to pound sand.

Since the Prince Albert is mentioned I will also mention that Fantasy Island's dive op allows you to shore dive. I believe it is $17 per tank. You can access the Prince Albert as well as Coco Views wall from there.

Further down, Media Luna allows shore diving as well, I am not sure what their cost is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom