Mid January dive trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KY_BOB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There will be 4 guys. We plan on staying in a cheap motel (any suggestions?) and chartering a boat with Florida West Scuba School. The hotel doesn't have to be nice. just clean and close to the dive shop. The only time we'll be there is to sleep.

I know this isn't the best time of year but it's warmer than a rock quarry in Kentucky and we all have 7mm wetsuits. What's the likelihood of decent visibility? Finding some teeth? The water being too rough for the boat to go out?

Any tips or thoughts to share with us?

Motel 6 is alright, although I wouldn't take my wife there (last trip I found a black widow spider on the door to my room, but hey, they're all over Florida)
(941) 485-8255
281 US Highway 41 Byp N,
Venice FL

also, local house to rent - never been, sounds decent:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/venice-fossil-divers/257631-venice-shark-tooth-rental.html

For eats, try Anita's family restaurant and the two ice cream places on the main drag - excellent ice cream!

Thanks for the info. Any predictions as to the water temp and visibility?

Suggest having a backup plan - fossiling in the Peace River at Arcadia, just to the East, can be fun. I'm not local though and there are a lot of others that can give you better advice I'm sure. Predictions on visibility at Venice is kind of a humorous statement. I've had reports of 6' vis one day, driven 2 1/2 hours there the next day and had 0' vis. If the clay bed gets stirred up you end up with a milky colloid suspension that is impossible to see through and you typically lose light at about 6 feet. Mother nature usually reserves this for the Thanksgiving Turkey Fry, but I don't think they had trouble this year. I stay in touch with the conditions because I really enjoy the dive and have to drive a bit to get there. When I get a chance I just pick up and go.

East winds are a good thing, high tide is generally a good thing.

Temps are a little easier - I've never been in January but the temp right now is hanging at around 60 F @ 20 fsw. Surface is reported to be 62-64.

Check the bouy for wind dir and surf temp:
NDBC - Station VENF1

Tide predictions for Venice are here (select Gulf Coast|Venice Inlet):
Error Message Page

Thanks for the input guys. Anyone else want to throw in their 2psi?

thedaddy is pretty accurate. Temps in the 60's, viz is hit or miss, best with easterly winds and incoming tides. Check the Venice dive reports for some idea of current conditions, but they can change quickly especially as a front passes.

Right, wrong, good or bad. We're heading out at 5:00am in the morning and driving the 880 miles to go diving on Satuday and Sunday. Wish us luck on finding some goodies.

The charter was cancelled due to rough seas. :banghead: We ended up staying in central FL and diving springs.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom