Miami for Labor Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jreihl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The wife and I are planning to get away for Labor Day and found some great deals to Miami.

First off, I looked online and the weather seems to be a bit wet in September. Is that hurricane season? June - November?

Second, living in Chicago I dive the cold water in local quarries and wrecks in Lake Michigan. I would love to get some warm water diving in while there. Any recommendations on the must see dive sites. I'm not too technical <100 ft wrecks or reef diving.

Thanks...

jreihl:
The wife and I are planning to get away for Labor Day and found some great deals to Miami.

First off, I looked online and the weather seems to be a bit wet in September. Is that hurricane season? June - November?

Second, living in Chicago I dive the cold water in local quarries and wrecks in Lake Michigan. I would love to get some warm water diving in while there. Any recommendations on the must see dive sites. I'm not too technical <100 ft wrecks or reef diving.

Thanks...

Labor Day falls in the peak of hurricane season. You have the dates right. Afternoon thunderstorms are common, but the diving (between tropical waves) is phenomenal... come on down!

The Benwood Wreck in Key Largo is good, as is the Elbow (shallow wrecks and reef). French and Molasses Reefs are good for shallow (20-50') reef diving and critter spotting. Enjoy!

Thanks for the input. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Key Largo an hour or so drive from Miami? We may rent a car so I could drive to Key Largo for a couple of dives. My wife is a non-diver, so I may look into charters.

Tell ya what.. I've been more impressed with the dives off of Deerfield Beach and Pompano than Key Largo.

Incidentally, I'm putting together a REEF Fish ID course for Laborday weekend, ya interested? It'll include boat and beach dives. :)

Man that sounds great. However, we will only be there for the long weekend and the wife does not dive. I am looking to get two dives in probably on Saturday morning, because we fly back on Monday.

undefined
jreihl:
Man that sounds great. However, we will only be there for the long weekend and the wife does not dive. I am looking to get two dives in probably on Saturday morning, because we fly back on Monday.

Try this shop, excellent people with own boat. Just make sure to reserve ahead for this busy time. Located in Sunny Isle area. If you're closer to South Beach, try Tarpoon Lagoon or RJ diving all good ops. Enjoy

http://www.h2oscuba.com/

We booked the trip. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks for the info. I checked out h2oscuba and will call the other shops. Looking forward to it. I hope the weather is good.

Ordered my 3 mil shorty today. Woo Hoo.

jreihl:
We booked the trip. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks for the info. I checked out h2oscuba and will call the other shops. Looking forward to it. I hope the weather is good.

Ordered my 3 mil shorty today. Woo Hoo.
You'll enjoy H2O if you so choose to use them. Jeff Brown is the best divemaster I've ever encountered. Gary is a great boat captain as well. They do some great dives <100 feet that you'd enjoy. Talk to Henry or Julia for details and locations.

That being said, there are many great operations and boats in the Miami area. There really is no need to hit the Keys for such a short trip.

Let me know what interests you, and I'll give you some of my top picks. Reefs, fish, wrecks, sand (just kidding), sharks, you name it and you can see it within a short dive(I mean drive) of Miami.

And for your Key Largo adventure, may I suggest, Island Ventures www.islandventure.com

jreihl:
Thanks for the input. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Key Largo an hour or so drive from Miami? We may rent a car so I could drive to Key Largo for a couple of dives. My wife is a non-diver, so I may look into charters.
Key Largo is about an hour (allow an hour and a half) south of MIA. Bring along a few dollar bills, and take the Turnpike (if possible) to save time and frustration.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom