Mexican Currency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A different type of question here. Is the peso that was in use in the 80's still any good? The economy in Mexico had pretty much gone down the tubes at the time and the exchange rate was almost 900 peso's to the dollar. I brought home some pocket change, 5,500 pesos, and just found them again. At the time it was about $6 worth. If they are still any good, they are now worth about $530.

I figured this was probably the best place to ask.

Later, Hawk.

Nope...there is new currency since the 80's, and it's now between 10 and 11 pesos to the dollar.

Pesos come in the following denominations now:
Coins = .5, 1, 2, 5 and 10 pesos coins (some 20 peso coins exist)
Bills = 20, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000

Thanks. I thought I remembered something like that. Bummer...Oh well, I guess it is just something to remember a fun trip through Mexico a long time ago.

Maybe some day I will go back, not for a while though. Too many other places to go first.

Later, Hawk.

I collect and horde money from other countries not a lot but i use it as a reminder of where i was and what i did. Maybe in 10 years you can sell it to a collector:D
I bet it looks cool ( the money i mean)

I found this an interesting read: the Peso since it started as "Pieces of Eight" Mexican peso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Probly too many Old Peso notes that weren't worth exchaning still exist for any to become valuable. Some mint quality coins perhaps.

Dandy Don, you always have some great info. Thanks for the reads.:D I did not know that much about the peso and i live here and love the people and culture. I think i am stuck in the maya ways now. Great stuff thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom