Metallic taste?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner

Contributor
Reaction score
I was diving this afternoon and got a distinct metallic taste in mouth within first 5 minutes of dive. I aborted dive not knowing cause. Can someone enlighten me?

What type of regulator are we using and where are we diving? HAs the reg been serviced? Was it cleaned properly last time??

rescuediver009:
What type of regulator are we using and where are we diving? HAs the reg been serviced? Was it cleaned properly last time??

Apeks ATX200 1st stage and ATX50 2nd. Diving in saltwater 48 degrees. Reg was recently serviced ( not well on first try ... had to take it in again).

Gillty:
Any recent dental work?
Yes, 2 weeks ago. But nothing that caused metallic taste. Might that only manifest itself when breathing on a reg?

...perhaps a bad fill...ie, some sort of contamination ?

How deep were you and what gas were you diving? What im trying to get at is did your breathing mix get near 1.6 ata?
Once when i was around 1.6 i got a metallic taste in my mouth and when talking about it with a mate a guy near by said he got the same taste just before he once toxed.
I though it could be a minute amount of CO2 in the gas that when compounded by pressure became "tastable".

Did they replace the hose to your primary reg? I have encountered some new hoses that leave a metallic taste for several dives until whatever they were coated with interally wears away.

Azza:
How deep were you and what gas were you diving? What im trying to get at is did your breathing mix get near 1.6 ata?
Once when i was around 1.6 i got a metallic taste in my mouth and when talking about it with a mate a guy near by said he got the same taste just before he once toxed.
I though it could be a minute amount of CO2 in the gas that when compounded by pressure became "tastable".
We didn't get close to 1.6 ata. The mix was EAN32. We got to about 20 ft before I turned.

DA Aquamaster:
Did they replace the hose to your primary reg? I have encountered some new hoses that leave a metallic taste for several dives until whatever they were coated with interally wears away.
No hose replacement.

If it is a gas contamination problem it there a way to check the gas directly? Obviously, I have plenty left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom