Merry's 500th Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After bad surface conditions two weeks ago and a sinus infection all of last week, it was good to get back in the water today. We celebrated Merry's graduation from Newbie to real diver this morning with her 500th dive. We hoped Hawthorne Reef would give us some interesting finds. Kevin Lee dropped right down next to an Ancula gibbosa, a nudibranch that I've only seen once. Merry got some really nice photos while I shot some mediocre video.
The swells began to pick up, so we headed to the Redondo Barge. Visibility was down quite a bit from our last dive here. We checked out five octopus nests, but none of the eggs are developing. The water was a brisk 51-52° at both sites.
I'm hoping to get in a midweek dive to practice still photography before next week. Merry and I will be making our first warm water trip together in Cozumel. I imagine we'll have better vis there.

500Cake4.jpg

Hmmm... never considered Merry a newbie. Congrats on the 500th and glad you three had a good time of it. Without my video lights, all I got to do yesterday was test my AWB/MWB capabilities... not a single giant sea bass or GWS passed in front of my camera.

Congrats to Merry. I am sad to think I will be a noobie till I hit 500 dives... I'm gonna die a noob. I agree with Dr Bill, from what I have seen on the SB , I question her status as a newbie.:D

Congratulations Merry! I am sure you guys are going to have a blast in Cozumel. Dry suits are surely staying home right?

Congratulations Merry.
Hey Phil in the begining of the video Merry's using a camera with a long lens that looks like it's not in a case, what can of camera is it.

That was me. Merry shot that of me using my Nikon D700 that I flooded on my last dive at Hawthorne Reef. I thought about putting it in a ziplock bag, but outside a housing was just as funny.

Hilarious segment of you shooting "caseless" with the D700. Still makes me cringe seeing it, even though I know its toast. I was wondering why the flood of dive reports stopped, glad you recovered in time for your tropical excursion. Excellent invertebrate series. The nudi chase scene made me have flashbacks to the filicidal Hermi mother on the Barge :shakehead:

I probably could have used another weekend off. I ascended early on both dives to blow my nose. :(
I missed Merry's 100th dive due to a cold. I wasn't about to miss the Big 5-0-0.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom