Merry Christmas...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
...and may the grace of God be to all who would receive it. Hope the joy lasts. A little cheer from our home this morning...

Richard.

upload_2018-12-25_10-23-51.jpeg
IMG_0623.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-25_10-24-14.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-25_10-24-14.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 107
Thank you @drrich2! Your daughter is beautiful! Merry Christmas to all the world!

Last night was the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 8 lunar voyage. It was the first time that men had traveled outside of the Earth's orbit to circle another heavenly body, the moon. I remember the Astronauts broadcasting from lunar orbit on Christmas Eve and reading from the Book of Genesis; it was inspiring and moving.

Although the mission was about the moon, it was the vision of the Earth, as a beautiful blue and white ball hanging in the blackness of space that was the real eye-opener. People had never before seen their world as an entity out in space.

I also remember that 1968 was a pretty terrible year, Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy were assassinated. The Vietnam War raged on the TV News every night. Russian tanks rolled through Prague, and anti-war demonstrations at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago turned into violent police actions.

It was a very bad year, but it ended a hopeful and positive note with the successful Apollo 8 Mission, and the environmental movement was launched because of those beautiful images of the planet Earth.
Earthrise: how the iconic image changed the world

The link below is for the Rocket Men book about Apollo 8 by Robert Kurson, the author of Shadow Divers. I thought it was a very interesting read but then I vividly remember that year and the event, so naturally it would be personal and interesting for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Men-Odyssey-Astronauts-Journey/dp/0812988701/

time-men-of-the-year-1968.jpg

thanks for sharing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom