Mermet Springs Illinois anyone been going next weekend ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melanie White

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone been there?
We are going there next Sunday to check out all our new gear before Cozumel.
It will be our first freshwater dive.
And advice or tips ?
We are renting tanks, weights, and wetsuits because they say and I trust them its chilly below 20 feet
Thanks

I haven't been yet, but my club is going the weekend after labor day (I haven't decided if I'm going or not). Freshwater diving is just like salt water diving except it doesn't taste as salty. It's probably colder than anything you have done before if you have only been in the ocean, since most ocean divers do tropical sites.

I have done several dives in the midwest, though. Surface temperatures tend to be nice this time of year, but once you hit the thermocline, it gets cold fast. You'll want a full 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, and boots at a minimum if you plan to go past about 20 feet. Mermet Springs list current conditions on their website, updated daily (usually). https://www.mermetsprings.com/

The paddlefish are neat. Watch out for the massive, man-sized catfish though!

Plane is very neat to swim through. Get a pic of you on the underwater motorcycle. :D

They have buoys on the attractions marked with name and depth. There are ropes between attractions with little signs indicating the next one and maybe how far apart.

Glenn, the owner, is fabulous. I was there last November.

They have buoys on the attractions marked with name and depth. There are ropes between attractions with little signs indicating the next one and maybe how far apart.

Glenn, the owner, is fabulous. I was there last November.

Thanks I cant wait I get to try out my gear and first fresh water dive so excited.

And underwater music! Glenn decided to have fun with the underwater emergency recall system. I remember Dirty Laundry from the 80s when I was there last. :D

There is a group of 8-10 of us from southern Indiana who will be there this upcoming Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Although we’ve done other things this year, we normally get to Mermet Springs three or four times a year. The one tip that I have is to bring some hotdogs to feed the fish. There are some very friendly big catfish that hang out at the platforms. I’d also suggest doing a dive around the exterior wall of the quarry in addition to seeing the attractions. Around 15 to 20 feet in depth over the deepest part of the quarry you will see a lot of paddlefish.

There is a group of 8-10 of us from southern Indiana who will be there this upcoming Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Although we’ve done other things this year, we normally get to Mermet Springs three or four times a year. The one tip that I have is to bring some hotdogs to feed the fish. There are some very friendly big catfish that hang out at the platforms. I’d also suggest doing a dive around the exterior wall of the quarry in addition to seeing the attractions. Around 15 to 20 feet in depth over the deepest part of the quarry you will see a lot of paddlefish.

Okay thanks for the tips
We cant wait

You’ll be less buoyant then in salt, so plan accordingly. Other than that, enjoy the day and your new gear....I think we’ll overlap in Coz by one day :happywave:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom