mermaid II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone dove on this boat? And any info would be nice. Going to Phuket in Feb for a couple weeks and was going to do the 6day trip on this boat. Thanks

Excellent boat. They had some troubles last year with the tour leader not getting along with the boat crew, so that means the whole crew has changed, and probably the tourleader is leaving as well. So can't tell you very much on bot the dive and boat crew.
Also the general manager of the Mermaid boats has left the company, and that has meant there has bee a bit of a gap in their communications to everybody, so the present situation is not totally clear yet.

Last year I would without any hesitation have recommended this boat, but I'm really not sure what is happening there at the moment.

We dove with this boat in Indonesia in August 2003. It was the same Thai crew and German dive leader as they use year-round -- but it sounds like these might have changed? (They also had two additional Indonesian dive guides who knew the local sites). The crew was friendly and professional, and the diving was safe and fun. Food was pretty good, all Thai except for breakfast, and they cooked veg dishes special for me. One "warning" -- if you have a sweet tooth bring your own supply -- the closest we saw to a sweet all week was jam at breakfast. The accommodation was comfortable and, especially for the price, I would recommend this boat. Cheers!

Last year they already changed both boat crew and diveguides (including tourleader), this year there will probably be another change ofr both crew and tourleader..

But the company has remained the same, so presuming they will keep their standards up, everything should be ok.

Mermaid II is a top notch boat. The new manager is better than the previous one and I see no gap in communication. If you call him, he has the answer. Boat is very comfortable, huge dive deck, nice cabins. We book many customers on the boat and it runs well. Only thing lacking is en suite bathrooms. They are at present semi-en suite, meaning they are between 2 cabins. They will be made ensuite over the next year, so next season expect a slight price rise.

The shared bathroom comment has just tipped me off -- sorry, we were on the Mermaid I, not the Mermaid II. Well, I can recommend the Mermaid I anyway... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom