Mermaid II (Bail-Komodo-Bali) vs. Moana (Komodo)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdevic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Earlier this year, I booked a cheap flight to DPS for a week in late May 2019. Bad planning on my part - I quickly discovered that most liveaboards to Komodo would not fit my flight schedule. After weeks of research, I've narrowed it down to two trips:

7N on Mermaid II from Bali for $3070 (approx. $440/night)
5N on Moana from LBJ for $1900 ($380/night; approx. the same factoring in DPS-LBJ flights and overnights hotels in LBJ).

From what I read, both are quality boats. The key difference would be the itinerary. Is it worthwhile to sail from Bali both ways, or should I focus on Komodo (and probably add 1-2 day local dives in Bali)?

Thanks very much!

My thoughts:
1) Do they do any diving between Bali and Komodo or is it just driving the boat. - in that case do your prefer spending extra time just sailing/cruising (which can be nice), or some more time on-land and just a quick flight?
2) Not too familiar with the dive sites between Bali and Komodo, AFAIK there are no really special ones?
3) From when I worked in Komodo (2014) the Mermaid guides were not known to be the best or most knowledge able on Komodo. The Mermaid also had a bit of a reputation for having a lot of divers on board who's camera equipment was certainly bigger in size than their skills or experience. I myself have gently plucked up a few who were lying down and destroying the reef (and my Indonesian assistant subsequently got in an underwater fistfight with the Mermaid guides who were afraid of their tips). That might have changed in the last years so I certainly bow to more up-to-date information on this.
4) This is Indonesia,... I can't imagine that return domestic flight and 2 hotel nights are about the same rate as the 2 nights on Mermaid (2 x 440 = 880 USD). I'd imagine that would set you back at worst 200 - 300 USD?

BTW enjoy diving in Komodo - it's awesome!

We love diving between Bali and Komodo because it's off the beaten path and diving at the foot of Sangeang volcano is very special! That's why we also offer it on our cruises. Plus, you save yourself the hassle of domestic flights.

Hi @Adelaar Cruises, thanks for replying. I never did that part, so cool to hear that there is some great diving to be done. I'll add it to the ever growing bucketlist...

And nothing against a few days of sailing, I love it after living almost a year on a sailing ship! My comments were just to give the OP some things to take into consideration.

PS saw your ship once or twice in Komodo - a beauty!

2) Not too familiar with the dive sites between Bali and Komodo, AFAIK there are no really special ones?
Sangeang + Gili Banta is a remarkable area to dive, very different from Komodo itself, though you can now dive them from a land resort (Kalimaya).
You can have a feel of what it's like reading my report
3 Indonesian destinations Kalimaya - Komodo - Bali : Aug18 Trip report

That said I wouldn't care that much diving the lengthy area from Bali to Moyo, I guess the best choice would be a liveaboard plying from Bima to LBJ.

My thoughts:
1) Do they do any diving between Bali and Komodo or is it just driving the boat. - in that case do your prefer spending extra time just sailing/cruising (which can be nice), or some more time on-land and just a quick flight?
3) From when I worked in Komodo (2014) the Mermaid guides were not known to be the best or most knowledge able on Komodo. The Mermaid also had a bit of a reputation for having a lot of divers on board who's camera equipment was certainly bigger in size than their skills or experience. I myself have gently plucked up a few who were lying down and destroying the reef (and my Indonesian assistant subsequently got in an underwater fistfight with the Mermaid guides who were afraid of their tips). That might have changed in the last years so I certainly bow to more up-to-date information on this.
4) This is Indonesia,... I can't imagine that return domestic flight and 2 hotel nights are about the same rate as the 2 nights on Mermaid (2 x 440 = 880 USD). I'd imagine that would set you back at worst 200 - 300 USD?

BTW enjoy diving in Komodo - it's awesome!

Thanks a lot for the information. I think Moana now makes more sense to me.
I double checked the itinerary for Mermaid - it only spends 1 full day in Komodo. Even if there may be great sites in between, I'd rather focus on Komodo this time.
The Garuda flights for those dates cost about $300 (I was told to avoid NAM and Lion Air). I can use the saving for 2 extra nights in a nice resort in Bali and some local diving.
thanks again!

We love diving between Bali and Komodo because it's off the beaten path and diving at the foot of Sangeang volcano is very special! That's why we also offer it on our cruises. Plus, you save yourself the hassle of domestic flights.
I actually looked into your boat on liveaboard.com, but it doesn't fit into my dates. Definitely a nice boat!

I used Lion Air several time in Indonesia and never had any big issues with it. The direct flight between Labuan Bajo/Komodo and Bali might be on their regional subsidiary Wings Air. You might pay a bit for any extra luggage, so I'd look at the total sum and see what works best for you.

300 USD seems awfully steep for a ticket. Have you checked www.nusatrip.com?

I used Lion Air several time in Indonesia and never had any big issues with it. The direct flight between Labuan Bajo/Komodo and Bali might be on their regional subsidiary Wings Air. You might pay a bit for any extra luggage, so I'd look at the total sum and see what works best for you.

300 USD seems awfully steep for a ticket. Have you checked www.nusatrip.com?
Thanks! it seems I can get Garuda for the time slot I need for $230 with 20kg luggage. Lion Air is about 20 bucks cheaper but with luggage would be almost the same. NAM is significantly cheaper at $140. But the reviews are very bad. I think I will stick to Sky Team.
Thanks again!

I have no personal experience with NAM Air (@Luko ?), but friends seem to have used it with no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom