Meg teeth In Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was told they were finding prehistoric Megladon Teeth at a river near Brunswick, Georgia.

Any forum readers know where this may be, and the names of any possible operators?

Yes, familiar with Venice. Just did some additional searching on the web and it looks like it's the St. Mary's River in SE Georgia.

Any board members ever been? Know of any operators if a boat is required?

diverjed

I was just speaking to an old diver from North Florida the other day about Meg Tooth hunting around the Fernandina Beach area and he was telling me about diving the saint Mary's river. It is BLACK WATER diving though with 0 to 1' vis.
I am fixing to check out some different spots there with an underwater camera to see just what the vis is this time of the year.
Have you done much no vis diving?
A boat would probably be needed, all depending on where in the river you go.
I have a 19' Larson that works well in river or shallow ocean on a good day.

tattoomeister:
I was just speaking to an old diver from North Florida the other day about Meg Tooth hunting around the Fernandina Beach area and he was telling me about diving the saint Mary's river. It is BLACK WATER diving though with 0 to 1' vis.
I am fixing to check out some different spots there with an underwater camera to see just what the vis is this time of the year.
Have you done much no vis diving?
A boat would probably be needed, all depending on where in the river you go.
I have a 19' Larson that works well in river or shallow ocean on a good day.

I've done some 'no viz' diving in a few rivers. I was in the Cooper a couple weeks ago, we didn't top out at the maximum 2' feet viz, more like 6". But a good light helps. PM me if you want to go out sometime, I'm always game for something different.

BTW, where do you find Meg Teeth in Fernandina Beach?

diverjed:
BTW, where do you find Meg Teeth in Fernandina Beach?

We find them on the beach. I have found four Megs in the last two months, the smallest was 2" and the largest was 5 1/8". The big one was missing one corner of the root though. They say these teeth come from dredge sand replenishment of the beach, but I think there has to be some in open water somewhere.
But since going to Venice, I have been doing some diving off Fernandina Beach looking for a sweet spot, but haven't found it yet.

tattoomeister:
We find them on the beach. I have found four Megs in the last two months, the smallest was 2" and the largest was 5 1/8". The big one was missing one corner of the root though. They say these teeth come from dredge sand replenishment of the beach, but I think there has to be some in open water somewhere.
But since going to Venice, I have been doing some diving off Fernandina Beach looking for a sweet spot, but haven't found it yet.

5 1/8", that's pretty good. I haven't been to Venice yet.

I found on a chart, the spot the other diver was telling me about the Meg teeth on St. Mary's. We are supposed to go Sunday and check out the spot and put it on my GPS and drop a camera too, to check the vis. I'll let you know the outcome.
Also here is the big tooth I was telling ya about. It just makes me sick it wasn't complete.

tattoomeister:
I found on a chart, the spot the other diver was telling me about the Meg teeth on St. Mary's. We are supposed to go Sunday and check out the spot and put it on my GPS and drop a camera too, to check the vis. I'll let you know the outcome.
Also here is the big tooth I was telling ya about. It just makes me sick it wasn't complete.

Still pretty good. Let me know what you find over the weekend.

Have a certified Megladon Appraiser appraise it for ya! Might be worth some good change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom