Medical DQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkiely

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering if anyone knew a place I could find a list of medical conditions and medications that would be an automatic disqualification for a USGC Captains license. Also wondering if the same list would apply to things like a STCW cert or positions working as a mate/deckhand on a yacht. Are they similar to FAA medical requirements?

The FAA has different classes of medicals, I lost my 1st class medical about 10 years ago and it was bumped down to a 2nd class. I'd like to see a list of conditions before I start the process of working towards my Captains license. Are their licensed USCG doctors that can give specific USCG medical exams like I did for the FAA when I was a pilot? It was basically a private practice doctor licensed to give specific FAA Flight medicals.

Thanks

The USCG Physical is very similar to DOT Physical from my understanding. I'd recommend you have a look at the actual form. I've heard you can get waivers for just about anything. The form is CG-719K. From my understanding your primary care can fill out the form but I actually had mine done at Doctor's Express since I didn't want to wait for an appointment. There are also places that specialize (or are at least more familiar with USCG physical)

Some good reading here..
https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/credentials/forms/cg719k_instruction_guide.pdf
https://www.uscg.mil/forms/cg/CG_719K.pdf
https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/2008/NVIC_04-08_CH2.pdf

Big things they check, blood pressure, hearing, vision (color, field of vision, uncorrected/corrected)

Page 6 Section V(a) - Visual Acuity:
The VMP must complete the mariner’s Visual Acuity. If any block is marked “Abnormal”, information should accompany the CG 719K to explain. For applicants using corrective lenses, the VMP must include both uncorrected and corrected distant vision testing. Current deck standards require an applicant to have correctable vision to at least 20/40 in one eye and uncorrected vision of at least 20/200 in the same eye. Current engineering, radio operator, tankerman and MODU standards require an applicant to have correctable vision of at least 20/50 in one eye and uncorrected vision of at least 20/200 in the same eye. See NVIC 04-08 encl (5) for further guidance.

Section V(b) - Color vision:
Current regulations require all applicants to submit the results of color vision testing. The color vision test performed should be selected from the list provided, and the 719K must be checked normal or abnormal. If any block is checked “Abnormal”, information must accompany the CG 719K to explain. Any alternative test must be approved by the USCG prior to sending the examination report. The use of unapproved alternative testing will likely cause delays in the medical evaluation process. The use of color sensing lenses is prohibited. See NVIC 04-08 encl (5) for further guidance.

Section VI: - Hearing:
It is not necessary to submit an audiogram for an applicant with normal hearing. If hearing is abnormal, the applicant must submit the results of audiogram testing to include functional speech discrimination at 55dB. The frequency responses for each ear are averaged to determine the measure of an applicant’s hearing ability. Current regulations have changed the hearing standard from 30dB average at 500 Hz, 1000Hz, 2000Hz and 3000Hz to 20dB in each ear. See NVIC 04-08 encl (5) for further guidance.

I'd be able to pass all those, there is a small risk of post op seizure with the procedure I had done but Im not now nor have I ever been on any medication for seizure and it's coming up on 10 years and I've never had one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom