Media Coverage Of Scuba Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0008

New
Reaction score
National Canadian media organization covers diver death from article in WaPo:

'Something went horribly wrong': Pro diver drowns in maze of underwater caves in New Mexico

Not exactly a positive story on the activity, but does mainstream media coverage indicate a rise in popularity?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This has been moved from a different forum. There is a separate thread on the accident itself in A&I. Please focus here on the question being asked: whether mainstream media coverage indicates a rise in scuba popularity. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be they can't believe there is scuba diving in New Mexico.

Unfortunately I believe that in this era of 24 hour news and everyone is connected at all times that they struggle to find a story.

It could be they can't believe there is scuba diving in New Mexico.

Unfortunately I believe that in this era of 24 hour news and everyone is connected at all times that they struggle to find a story.

Isn't that the sad truth.

If you cant find a newsworthy item of national interest, then make something up or make something fit the bill.

The old saying "Lets not let the truth get in the way of a good story"

I enjoy and promote good work, but deplore trashy, sensationalist journalism.

Yes, my curiosity as well. Is it this story, or an indicator of an increasing interest in Scuba in general?

It's isn't a story about two hillbillies doing something stupid and killing themselves.

This was a team of pros involved in an exploration project that resulted in a fatality. One is obviously more newsworthy than the other. At least to me.

It's isn't a story about two hillbillies doing something stupid and killing themselves.

This was a team of pros involved in an exploration project that resulted in a fatality. One is obviously more newsworthy than the other. At least to me.

They were/are serious pros indeed. They were not doing something stupid. A qualified team was undertaking a well planned survey. The fact that a fine man was lost is sad indeed. I do not believe this was a reckless endeavor. It is a tragedy. We mourn for the family and friends of Shane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom