Mechanical compass as a spare????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msinc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My electronic compass has never failed me yet. But, I know they can and do get out of "calibration". Had our dive instructor go out on a night dive and it sent him off in the wrong direction. I have frequently had to calibrate the one in my Garmin Alpha 100 GPS/Tracking unit. I think it would be a good idea to carry a mechanical compass in my BCD as a spare/just in case. I would like to hear anyone's recommendation of which ones they feel are good. it should be accurate and big enough to see and easy to read. I don't need one with bells and whistles and extra stuff. t just needs to be as reliable as possible and not fail if and when I need it. Don't really care about the price as long as it's a good one and will take 130 feet of depth. Thanks in advance for any information, it is greatly appreciated.

suunto sk7/8 is the most popular, but i don't find them to be very rugged, currently on my third one in as many years. i won't be buying another when this one fails.

the oceanic compasses seem to hold up better to me and work just fine. my apeks console compass is also still in great shape.

the dgx tech compass has some pretty positive feedback by others and it is cheaper too.

I had Suunto that started to leak. I replaced it with both the Suunto and the DGE version and those started leaking as I put it into the boot.

At this point I rely solely on my electronic compass. If it when south (north?) I would just use the analog compass I use for hiking.

two compasses a must for solo diving. Been burned by single compass failure once before, never again.

Thanks for the replies and info so far everyone!!! I have to say I am surprised that Suunto compasses don't hold up better than that.

currently on my third one in as many years

Been burned by single compass failure once before, never again

Just call me Mr. Lucky! I have never had (nor seen) a compass (electronic or mechanical) fail. What's it look like when it happens?

Cheers -

On Ebay there are old Scubapro LS-1 compass. Probably the finest compass ever made for diving. I'm on my third one in 50 years of diving. You'll find them on old consoles and sometimes alone. Someone has one now for sale claims unused new in box for $60.00 which is more than they cost new years ago. The high pressure hose on the console is usually worth keeping and a nice bonus when buying an LS-1 in the console. The last one I bought had a lightly used working 5000psi SPG in the console, $30.00+shipping! I have 3 LS-1s right now, 1 in my console, 1 on a nav board I made, and a replacment sitting on a shelf. I use a simple button compass for backup which I've never had to nav with.

Nope, for me, mechanical compass as a primary. The one on my computer is way too sensitive. I'd only use it if I absolutely had to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom