MDL using average depth, where average <60ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In both of your examples you did a whole crapload of time with an EAD of 30ft or less. None of that time is relevant as bottom time per se. In fact if you had deco from the deeper portions of the dive, it would just be more time and 10 and 20ft anyway.

You're going into an area where you are going to exceed your minimum deco limit. At point Lobos, you can easily exceed Minimum Deco by going to Beto's Reef, whose shelf lies in 100ft and whose base reaches 130ft. On a DPV, you don't even have to worry about additional nitrogen loading, as you will reach the site in 5 minutes or less, from the worm patch.

Many of us go to Beto's Reef or Three Sisters, which sit at 100 ft. You have considerable travel time, hence you on-gas going to your planned site. Use your dive plan software and look at the various phase of your dive. You'll find that you might have some hidden deco, especially after completing the deepest stage of your dive. In addition, this now alters your minimum gas calculations. You must now have the reserves to complete the obligation. Also add 5-10 minutes to the various depth phase of the dive and see what it does to your deco obligations, if any. Reflective of your training, you'll need to adjust the dive profile to maintain a minimum deco ascent throughout the entire dive! That's a difficult task but one that can be achieved.

You should plan a specific dive profile first. Then see what happens if you had to deviate from that plan. It's good that you recognize the limits that nitrogen loading imposes on your dive profile. However, recognize the increase amount of gas it now requires to "safely" execute the dive.

Also, GUE Fundamentals clears you for a minimum deco ascent. If you want to progress into deco/technical diving, then take Recreational Diver 3, or obtain the technical rating for your Fundamentals class and take Tech 1.

@Ouvea - You're right, the swim out to somewhere like Beto's or 3 Sisters (which were the sites I was thinking of as well) is fairly significant and would have N2 loading just getting there as well.
I had a brief chat with Beto and he said the exact same thing including suggesting planning actual dives to see what they look like in terms of deco, min gas, etc instead of the theoretical exercise I've been doing so far .i.e. ignoring gas requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom