Maybe not a treasure, but what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, this has us perplexed. It looks familiar, but we can't quite figure out what it is. I'm sure it's not really a treasure, but we found it underwater in a cove known for old junk and we want to know what it is... Maybe someone has an idea? I think we're more bothered by not knowing what it is than anything else.. (haha, with my luck it's probably part of a ship's toilet)

It seems to be stainless steel, and does have some minor pitting and corrosion, but doesn't seem to be too bad. It's about 4.5 inches long by about 2.5 inches wide, and one inch tall.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• thing1.JPG
    thing1.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 239
  • thing2.JPG
    thing2.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 200
Probably a cap for a pipe end or electric outlet fixture, the chain is so that it will hang beside whatever it was supposed to cover.

It may be a cover for a ships voice pipe except they are usually copper

I should mention that the nubbin in the center is threaded, so something theoretically should screw into it.

So my girlfriend/dive buddy came up with the best idea thus far... We now think it's a cover for an over-flow drain on a bathtub or something similar, and the broken chain is for a drain stopper... I know, I get all the great finds :D

So my girlfriend/dive buddy came up with the best idea thus far... We now think it's a cover for an over-flow drain on a bathtub or something similar, and the broken chain is for a drain stopper... I know, I get all the great finds :D

We have a winner !!!!!!!! :cheers:

I don't know about winner . . . usually, the cover / stopper on the overflow has a whole through it, not a threaded center whatsit.

Also, the chain is attached to the side, not the center. Unscrewing the thing if the chain is attached to something would be a real PITA as the chain would have to go around and around.

It is also way huge . . . 1" deep, did you say? :hm:

Are sure it's stainless? The green around the stud suggest it is chrome plated brass rather than SS.

It is the cover for an anchor chain/rope pipe. Look at the west marine website for chain/rope pipe and you'll see a picture. These are normally made of either chrome plated brass or stainless steel. It's not unusual for the cover to be pulled off the deck if it's not removed before anchoring.

Last edited:
I think Spearit nailed it... Thanks for solving our nagging, but not overly exciting mystery :wink:

Now I'm off to find more sea junk :D

Back
Top Bottom