Mayan Palace, Riviera Maya dive operation on-site or pick-up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timetraveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone please tell me whether there is still an on-site dive operation at the Mayan Palace, Riviera Maya?
If not, is there one that will pick up divers there (we won't have a car)? I read in an old post that Yucatec Divers would pick up at the Mayan Palace, but also that there were some problems. Does anyone have any further or more recent information on Yucatec Divers?

timetraveler:
Can someone please tell me whether there is still an on-site dive operation at the Mayan Palace, Riviera Maya?
If not, is there one that will pick up divers there (we won't have a car)? I read in an old post that Yucatec Divers would pick up at the Mayan Palace, but also that there were some problems. Does anyone have any further or more recent information on Yucatec Divers?

It's been my experience over the last several years, and using 3 different dive ops, that they will NOT pick you up for any type of reef diving. We've always had to take a taxi from our resort in Kantenah to wherever the dive op was located. From Kantenah, it's about $18 US to Playa, less if you're not going that far.
With that said, most ops WILL pick you up if you're diving the cenotes, which I HIGHLY recommend. The cenotes are outstanding dives, and shouldn't be missed.

Hope this helps,

We were there the last week of February and there is no on-site dive op. We rented a car, which I would highly recommend.

We just returned home from the Mayan Palace this evening. My wife and I dove 6 dives from the shop located on the beach at the MP. They have several itenaries, wreck, reef, ceynotes. The reef out front is not bustling with fish activity, but an easy drift dive. the reef was still nice though. Look up Nacho or Manuel at the shop, both very knowledgable DM's. They will take good care of you. p.s. the more you book the better the price will be if you ask.

timetraveler:
Was there October '04 and there was an op running out of a grass hut on the beach. It sounds like from ffde31 that they're still there. HOWEVER their prices were 2X all their competitors, so you're paying a premium for getting an onsite op. You're much better off pricewise going to an outside operation. I've used Dive Puerto Morelos and was very pleased (about a 10 minute taxi ride North of you - 140 pesos). There's also quite a few ops in Playa Del Carmen (about a 15 minute taxi ride South of you - 170 pesos). I have heard that Diablo Divers in Playa Del Carmen will pick you up at the entrance to the Mayan Palace Resort, so all you have to do is ask the front desk to deliver you to the entrance. My understanding is that MP will not let any outside vendors drive up to the resort lobby.

Wonderful resort - can't wait to go back.

Jerry

I would try to dive the WWII vessel out of Peurto Morelos. It's an old vessel that is in real good shape and sitting up-right. It is about 95' to the sand. I did e-mail Diablo and ask if they p/u at the main gate at the Mayan Palace. That is very true that the shop in front of the MP is more expensive, albeit the convenience is nice for the early morning hustle.

Thanks for the interest! I only pick up from the Mayan Palace for a minimum of two divers doing a Cenote dive.

Let me know if this works for your situation.

Cheers,

Dennis

This is the reply from Diablo Divers.

Thank you, ffde31. :) I'll try to contact them about arranging a cenote dive. This time I'll use email instead of their online information request form.
We'll have to look elsewhere for the reef dives.

Back
Top Bottom