Maya Riviera cenote database

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
Wondering if there exists a complete survey of cenotes along the so-called Maya Riviera ? What I would be interested in seeing is a listing of all cenotes open to the public.My ideal list would also include cenotes which allow both diving and snorkeling,skill levels recommended,and average water temperature. Open pits,rather than swim-through caverns might be a separate category. Your thoughts,please.

You can check out Cave Atlas, and I’ve got another link saved in my bookmarks on my computer that I can add later. What you’re looking for doesn’t exist however. It’s just collections of maps, some with location data, etc.

You can check out Cave Atlas, and I’ve got another link saved in my bookmarks on my computer that I can add later. What you’re looking for doesn’t exist however. It’s just collections of maps, some with location data, etc.
Thank you for your reply. I am hoping someone will take the time to research this and post their results. If I had more knowledge of this area,I would do this myself.

LOL - no such thing exists, and it would be very hard to create and maintain one.
There are over a thousand known cenotes in that area, and their openness varies widely and changes frequently. Even for the most public ones where you can just come, pay, and enjoy the water, the rules like whether you need a local guide change often and sometimes even depend on who is at the gate that day. Then there are cenotes that are open when the landowner or caretaker happens to be around and is happy to make a few pesos. For other cenotes, you have to know where to pick up the key, and knowledge of that is somewhat closely held as an informal way of controlling access. And for the majority of the cenotes, you need to know the land owner, or know someone who knows the land owner and can vouch for you. And other cenotes are completely off limits, or limited to scientific exploration.
Overall, cenote diving is still a bit of an adventure that involves getting to know the people and the land as soon as you leave the resort tour groups behind.

P.S. Nice username!

Edit: Steve Gerrard's book was an attempt at something like that, and it mostly illustrates the futility of such an effort.

LOL - no such thing exists, and it would be very hard to create and maintain one.
There are over a thousand known cenotes in that area, and their openness varies widely and changes frequently. Even for the most public ones where you can just come, pay, and enjoy the water, the rules like whether you need a local guide change often and sometimes even depend on who is at the gate that day. Then there are cenotes that are open when the landowner or caretaker happens to be around and is happy to make a few pesos. For other cenotes, you have to know where to pick up the key, and knowledge of that is somewhat closely held as an informal way of controlling access. And for the majority of the cenotes, you need to know the land owner, or know someone who knows the land owner and can vouch for you. And other cenotes are completely off limits, or limited to scientific exploration.
Overall, cenote diving is still a bit of an adventure that involves getting to know the people and the land as soon as you leave the resort tour groups behind.

P.S. Nice username!

Edit: Steve Gerrard's book was an attempt at something like that, and it mostly illustrates the futility of such an effort.[/QUOTE

And yours as well...popular writer in some parts...
I see the futility of my quest,...but think someone (not me) may try to tackle it,...perhaps as a digital,editable,evolving instrument,rather than a printed book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom