May '16 Article About White Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just read the latest article about White Point by Dale and Kim Sheckler. It was filled with very useful information for those new to the site as well as old timers. One thing slipped by the editor though. On the cover it reads Orange County's White Point. As someone who paid property taxes in San Pedro for a number of years I can attest that White Point is indeed in Los Angeles County.

White Point was my local mudhole for more than a decade. Before the fire road was destroyed by the hillside collapse a couple of years ago it was a great night dive site. I had a large Giant Sea Bass come right up to my face three times during one memorable night dive. I have also encountered gray and brown smoothound sharks, barracuda and friendly harbor seals there.

Some of the best diving at White Point can be found offshore. The outfall pipes stretching from near the Lifeguard stand seaward are home to life not found in other sites around the peninsula. About a half mile off the point it White Point Rock, a schoolbus size island in the middle of a sandy plain. It is home to many nudibranch and rockfish species. Large fish-eating anemones dot the sand surrounding the reef and can also be found near shore in the shallow reefs east of White Point.

WhitePoint1-1.jpg

WhitePointRock1-1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom