May 11, 2012 Ogden Point Reef Balls video (Victoria)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good video, who was behind the placement of the balls? Any talk of putting a small wreck there?

Nice Video Mark. The Breakwater is such huge attraction for marine life I never understood the point of putting more crap down there when the area is already so rich in marine life.

Good video, who was behind the placement of the balls? Any talk of putting a small wreck there?

Scientific Diving - UVic Scuba Club

Valerie Mucciarelli, for her Master's project at UVic, helped in putting the reef balls there in order to research how effective they were in creating a good marine habitat. I think she's finished the project now, but the reef balls seem to be working to increase the amount of life in more barren places.

The last time I visited the reef balls, I followed a line at around 30fsw, and we quickly hit the reef balls. A few other lines branched out to other reef balls. I don't recall much change in depth (stayed relatively close to 30fsw the whole time), so you likely took a different route.

The reef balls I visited had a decent amount of life, but compared to the breakwater, it is quite scarce. I guess the main point was for the scientific knowledge and more life in barren areas near Ogden Point.

Interesting, thanks mark. When I lived in esquimalt I noticed lots of reef balls in the public works shed. I always wondered if they were going to put them in saxe point. Like Dave, I agree the breakwater has good diversity but I always thought a small wreck there would be an awesome addition to teach courses and work on skills.

That 737 off Chemainus was close to being sunk off the breakwater. They even had funding/a tug/etc. ready to go. I think the ARSBC had issues with it being a shore dive though.
Interesting, thanks mark. When I lived in esquimalt I noticed lots of reef balls in the public works shed. I always wondered if they were going to put them in saxe point. Like Dave, I agree the breakwater has good diversity but I always thought a small wreck there would be an awesome addition to teach courses and work on skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom