Maximum depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For insurance purposes, as a Padi Rescue diver, what is the maximum depth Im qualified to go to? I thought it was 30m but I am now told it's 40m. I was about to do a Deep Diver qualification just so Im officially covered to 40m but now Im confused and don't know whether I need it or not in order to be officially qualified to 40m for insurance purposes. Please help!!!!

I know my original OW certification (LAC) allowed me to go to 40 m. I thought once you got the PADI AOW cert you could go to that depth as well.

Unless you have the Deep Specialty you are only certified to 30 meters the same as advanced open water divers. With most insurances they will not cover you if you dive beyond your current certification levels depth no matter how deep they say their coverage is for.

Thanks for that drbill. Can anyone else confirm for a fact that Padi Advance Open Water (or Rescue, which is what I am) officially "qualifies" me down to 40m for the big nasty insurance companies please????

---------- Post added September 26th, 2014 at 09:36 AM ----------

Thats what I needed to confirm, as I was planning to do the Deep Diver just for that reason. It's just that the PADI instructor at this resort got me all confused....

You really need to check your INSURANCE to find the answer to your question.

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

Rescue doesn't add any additional depth 'qualifications' until you have the deep specialty. So with rescue alone your recommended limit is 30 m, after taking deep your limit would be 40 m.

You really need to check your INSURANCE to find the answer to your question.

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

Some agencies are different the depth your insurance will allow for will depend on your certifying agencies max depth for that particular certification level

PADI OW - 60' (18m)
PADI AOW - 100' (30m)
PADI Deep - 130' (40m)

Technically, rescue prerequisite is Adventure diver not Advanced OW which might not include the deep dive, so it is possible that as Rescue Diver that the depth certified to could still be 60'.

As for insurance purposes... Speak to YOUR insurance company regarding any limits that affect YOUR coverage.

Contact DAN. It is not obvious that they have depth or certification restrictions. Their latest handbook removed the 130' limit on their least expensive plan.

Yes, I renewed my DAN insurance earlier this week and observed that these is no longer a depth limit for its most basic plan ("Master Plan") for DAN USA for those living in states not listed among the special handful of states specified by DAN.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom