Maximum Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassi Devil Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just Bought a Gopro 3+ to replace my 3 which I lost.

The first thing I noticed was how flimsy the housing seemed and realised the depth rating was only 40m compared to 60m of the older 3.

Anyway I am interested hear how deep people have taken their Gopro camera in their standard housing.

I am planning a 55m dive on the weekend will the 3+ function for me?

Thanks
James

What you might find with the newer Hero 3+ housing at lower depths than 40mtrs is that the buttons are pressed inwards by the pressure of the water rather than the housing allowing in water.

The newer housing was designed to be easier to operate with gloves on, so the buttons are bigger and easier to press. Unfortunately, this may have resulted in the water pressure depressing them much easier.

The Hero 3+ does actually fit in the Hero 3 (60mtr) housing so that's always an option.

Thanks HM I will go and get me a Hero 3 housing.

By the way came across the Golem Gear Gopro housings with rating so of 500 and 1000ft, anyone got any experince with these?

...so the buttons are bigger and easier to press. Unfortunately, this may have resulted in the water pressure depressing them much easier.

Water pressure truly only affects an area the size of the shaft that goes into the housing. Button size really doesn't matter as the pressure on the exposed back side of the button negates a matching area on the front, leaving the only difference being the area of the shaft.

Back
Top Bottom