Max compressor Pressure for Continuous Blending Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Within the world of tribology there are a lot of opinions and a few generally accepted principles. One of these principles concerns viscosity. Comparing reciprocating machines of approximately the same output, the large, beefy slow turning machine requires a higher viscosity oil and the smaller, fast turning machine requires an oil of lower viscosity. This is refected in compressor practice insofar as the oil recommended for the beefy Bauer Mariner is SAE 40 and the oil recommended for the Noah Howden is SAE 10. Both compressors output about 6 cfm. The Bauer speed is about 1200 rpm and the Howden about 3600 rpm.

Generally, higher viscosity oils have a higher flash point but not always. Jet turbine oil, though only SAE 10, has a flash point equal to the thicker oils. Therefore, if there is a carbon monoxide problem with either compressor type it would be more closely tied to the compressor's head temp than to flash point of the respective oils which are the both about 500F.

How hot does the Mariner run? Bauer has published data for this three stage compressor which indicates gas outlet temps in the range of 230F-270F and head temps about 150F. These data are valid at ambient 65F. Given this, bear in mind that compressors have been operated in temps approaching 100F.

Unfortunately, equivalent data for the Noah Howden are not available to me so any comments would have to be on the basis of mechanical theory. The Howden is a four stage machine which means that the thermal stress on individual cylinders should be less than with a three stage. This is due to lower compression ratios at each stage. Also, the four stage design has three sets of interstage cooling coils instead of two. Moreover, the four stage Howden rotates at three times the speed of the Mariner which also means that the cooling fan turns three times as fast. Ah ha! you say, doesn't the faster turning compressor generate more heat? The answer is no, all compressors operate at about 90% efficiency. This can be verified by comparing engine size. It takes no more power to drive a high speed compressor than for a low speed machine.

The Bauer has a fairly large oil sump. Jim can tell us what size is the sump in the Howden. I don't recall. However this may be, the Howden uses a dry sump design which pumps recirculating oil into a separate tank which is exposed to air flow. Oil in the rather small tank on my 4 cfm Kidde doesn't get much hotter than warm. It certainly won't burn the finger.

All this says that the Howden should operate cooler than the Mariner if ambient temps and installation factors (space, air flow) are equal. Many NITROX pumpers use diester oils in Bauer and other compressors without reported problems. (There have been a few cases summarized at Decostop involving excess heat in the compressor room). Others have switched to PAO's which are without reported problems to my knowledge. We are constantly learning as new information comes in so this anything which I have said here could be modified later. Reality is we can't wait forever to learn new stuff before moving ahead and the state of knowledge at this point says to use ordinary care and diligence whatever oil is used.

All, Thanks Pescador, The NH compressor oil sump is about 12 ounces to the center of the fill markings on the oil dip stick. The cooling coils on the compressor are all finned tubing and completely encircle the fan. The cooling coils located after the 4 th stage are also extensive, so the air going into the moisture trap is close to ambient temperature. The configuration of the cooling coils also directs the air flow toward the 4 compressor stages providing good blast air flow.
The use of these compressors was also designed for much hotter ambient temperature as some applications are inside the engine compartment of the M-60 tank.

I guess the plain tubing is cheaper to fabricate than the finned tubes. The mfgrs can run out the coils with semi automatic equipment, jigs and power benders. However, the finned type is a bit more delicate and one should exercise care not to bend the fins or let them clog up with crud. If one could calculate the surface area of the fins I'm sure it would be huge. Some folks claim that a finned tube has six times the cooling capacity compared to a plain tube. The Kidde and clones are designed to operate in ambient up to 160F. However, divers should try to shield their units from direct sunlight on hot days especially if pumping NITROX.

Finned Tubes Advantages

Thanks to everyone replying to this post and enlightening me on my way.

To show that I've finally arrived, I have, with luck, attached a couple pics of the Noah Howden compressor whirring happily along on a delightful, chilly winter day. I moved everything from under cover, to the corner of the yard to avoid the neighbors thick wood smoke. She pumped NX like a champ, steady as could be at 36% right on up to top pressure. My el cheapo analyzer sat comfortably in a ziplock and there is about 1.5" water resistance in the NITROX stick made to OxyHacker/Pesky single NX/trimix stick specs.

Thanks again to all who contribute to the Scubaboard making it such a fine resource.

Robert

Noah_Howden_6cfm_4_stage.jpg

Nitrox_Stick.jpg

Robert, Thanks very much for the picture and good words on my compressor. I appreciate it very much
frogman62
Jim Shelden
sheldensportinggoods.com

I just received an electric Noah Howden E6.0 compressor from Jim Shelden at Shelden Sporting Goods and I am very impressed! I'm using the Mobil Jet Oil II recommended and supplied by Jim. This compressor is so light and compact I put it on a small table in my garage and it pumps 6 CFM. I use a homemade Nitrox blending stick and two wall-mounted filter canisters. I bought the repackable filter canisters from Shelden Sporting Goods as well to use with my previous compressor.

Jim is great to deal with and sells superior products after thoroughly assembling and testing them out himself. He has a wealth of knowledge from many years of working with compressors, and I have gained a lot of trust in him and his products. He has steered me in the right direction with every transaction I have had with him, and he is very honest to deal with.

See the pictures posted below. The writing on each filter canister indicates the number of hours on the compressor when the canister was repacked. As you can see, the on-board canister doesn't even have an hour on it yet.

Note....I'm prepared to get slammed for having the compressor and O2 set up so close to my fusebox in the garage, but I have several of my own reasons for that (including having a door and the best air circulation in the entire garage).

Love my new compressor!

Thanks Jim!

Attachments

• E6.0Compressor 014.jpg
    E6.0Compressor 014.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 176
  • E6.0Compressor 020.jpg
    E6.0Compressor 020.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 178
  • E6.0Compressor 018.jpg
    E6.0Compressor 018.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 204
  • E6.0Compressor 011.jpg
    E6.0Compressor 011.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 158
  • E6.0Compressor 013.jpg
    E6.0Compressor 013.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 174
This is just a follow-up to my last post on this thread, which was a couple of months ago.....I still absolutely love my Noah Howden E6.0 compressor I bought from Shelden Sporting Goods!

Thanks Jim!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom