Maurice Tracy aboard the Gypsy Blood - 5/27 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
maurice_tracy_1.jpg

Well, I'm not much for writing trip reports but figured I would at least memorialize today's diving.

The victim of one of the many wartime collisions off the coast of NJ - in a June 1944 mishap with the freighter Jesse Billingsley - the Maurice Tracy is now not much more than a scattered debris field of flattened hull plates and larger pieces.

Fifteen divers plus crew (thanks Rob, Mike and Denise, as well as captains Jim and Angelo) made the trip out this morning. The seas made your local quarry look rough by comparison - never seen the ocean this flat before.

Water was a brisk 46deg at 70ft and dives of 45 min or so were about the max. Mark and I headed off on the first dive, with Mark running the reel to see what we could see.

Only a few bugs taken today - not counting the one that came up DOA (and smelling it) that neither Frank nor Nick would lay claim to. Though it was in Frank's bag, Nick seemed to have something to do with its capture.

There was a woman spotted with a contraband "Coke" product, but she wasn't tossed overboard.

Thanks to the folks from Hunterdon Scuba and Hoboken Dive Center who joined us today. Hope everyone had a great time, and look forward to diving with you again!

Ray

:dropmouth And I was away on business... Dang! Thanks for sharing man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom